Hawaiian Shirt Cake/servings Question

Decorating By Michele25 Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 11:29pm by Michele25

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 4

Hi~
I need to make a Hawaiian shirt cake for a 50th birthday soon. The cake needs to serve about 75. I planned on cutting the shape of the shirt out of a sheet cake, but am confused about how to do this for a 75 serving cake.

If I carve the shirt out of a 1/2 sheet cake, I may only get about 45 servings (I am accounting for the servings that will be lost by cutting if I start out with a 54 serving 1/2 sheet). I could stack two 1/2 sheets on top of one another, but I think that will make the cake look too tall and not as realistic looking as it would if I used a 2" high sheet cake.

If you were making this cake, what would you do to achieve at least 75 servings? I am thinking my only choice, if I don't want to stack two sheet cakes on top of one another, would be to have a separate sheet cake (11x15" - 35 servings) on hand to make up the additional servings (like a "kitchen cake" at a wedding), and use the 1/2 sheet for the actual shirt cake, which will be displayed. I'd love your thoughts on this...I don't carve/shape cakes very often and am always confused about the sizing.....

Thanks so much in advance!

3 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 4

What if you did cupcakes with flowers on the top of each one and arrange them on the table in the shape of a lei? The only other thought I have is make the cake itself bigger.

Sorry that's all I got.

Judi

Michele25 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, Judi. That's the problem, though. I'm not sure what I would do to make the cake bigger without stacking two sheet cakes.

Michele25 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 4

Any other help??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%