Magic Line Vs Fat Daddio's Square Pans

Decorating By Stacybugg75 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 1:26am by Jenn2179

Stacybugg75 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 7

I need to purchase some square cake pans for an upcoming wedding cake... I was originally looking to buy the Magic Line square pans, sizes 6", 8", 10", 12" 14" x 2". The cake will be fondant covered, and I wanted the corners to be as sharp as possible... which is why I wanted the Magic Line pans. I've had a hard time finding them on-line or in stores, not to mention they are way more expensive than Fat Daddio's pans.

My question is this... will the weight of the fondant on the corners of the cakes make it not matter that I've used pans with sharper edges... therefore, I should just buy the Fat Daddio pans....? After thinking it over, I'm just not sure if you'll be able to see the sharp edges produced by the Magic Line pans under the fondant.

Does anyone have any experience with this as well...?

Thanks so much!!
~s

6 replies
snowboarder Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 7

I only use ML, so I can't answer your question about Fat Daddios, but since you are in socal- Parrish's in Gardena has ML pans in every size and shape imaginable.

It is literally a warehouse. They sell all kinds of cake decorating supplies in addition to all ML pans. It might be worth the drive.

Stacybugg75 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the tip!! I may have to make a trip to Gardena... I'm guessing that since you only use ML that you are happy with it? Are you able to get crisp edges when you use fondant??

thanks for your help!!
~s

xstitcher Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 7

I also only have ML and am very happy with them. I wanted to mention to you that Amazon also sells these as well. I believe they still have he 4 for 3 promotion going on (at least they did this weekend when I ordered some) and they also sell the set in the sizes you are looking for with free shipping).
Ultimate Baker I believe has 10% off all orders so this might be an option as well. There are several on-line merchants but I don't know how much shipping would be so have not mentioned them.

HTH, have a great day!
icon_smile.gif

Stacybugg75 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 7

I'm so excited! I found the Magic Line square pans at Sur La Table!

There are two Sur La Table's located near me... I called them both on Saturday morning to see if they, by chance, carried the Magic Line pans... both people I spoke to from both stores said "No, I've never heard of that". So I figured I would just have to drive to Gardena, the Parrish warehouse, and purchase them there. Well, I've been to Gardena and it is a very scary, bad neighborhood... not to mention it's about an hour from my house. Anyway, on Sunday I was at the shopping center were one of the Sur La Table's was located and just popped in to check out some of the cake decorating stuff they had... low and behold, they had a ton of Magic Line square pans!!! Just what I was looking for! They were all the same price as what I've found on line as well. Yippee!!

So, I'm super excited and can't wait to start baking in my new pans!

Quick question though... is there a chart somewhere that tells how much batter I need for each size pan? I purchased all 2" pans, size 6", 8", 10", 12", & 14". I'm not sure how many cups of batter I'll need for each pan!

xstitcher Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacybugg75

I'm so excited! I found the Magic Line square pans at Sur La Table!

There are two Sur La Table's located near me... I called them both on Saturday morning to see if they, by chance, carried the Magic Line pans... both people I spoke to from both stores said "No, I've never heard of that". So I figured I would just have to drive to Gardena, the Parrish warehouse, and purchase them there. Well, I've been to Gardena and it is a very scary, bad neighborhood... not to mention it's about an hour from my house. Anyway, on Sunday I was at the shopping center were one of the Sur La Table's was located and just popped in to check out some of the cake decorating stuff they had... low and behold, they had a ton of Magic Line square pans!!! Just what I was looking for! They were all the same price as what I've found on line as well. Yippee!!

So, I'm super excited and can't wait to start baking in my new pans!

Quick question though... is there a chart somewhere that tells how much batter I need for each size pan? I purchased all 2" pans, size 6", 8", 10", 12", & 14". I'm not sure how many cups of batter I'll need for each pan!

I'm very excited for you too!

As for the amount of batter per pan. I find the best thing to do is use cups of water to measure how much batter you will need for each pan. There is also a link under the articles page that will tell you how much batter is needed for 2" deep pans. It's a guide provided by Wilton.

Jenn2179 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:26am
post #7 of 7

You will have to work with the fondant to get the sharp edges you are looking for even if you use ML pans. I have both ML and FD's and I like both.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%