Buttercream Flowers

Decorating By LJJohnson Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm by SeriousCakes

LJJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJJohnson Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 3

Good morning everyone. I am wondering if there is a way to make more than just drop flowers and roses out of buttercream? I took the wilton classes and learned how to make the RI flowers, but I don't like putting hard flowers on a cake...because in my opinion cake shouldn't be crunchy. Plus, kids (and most adults) always want the piece of cake with the most flowers!

Is there any way to make those same flowers I learned in my Wilton classes out of buttercream (I prefer SMBC, but would use a different one for flowers if it would work) and then freeze them until I was ready to put them on the cake? Or are there any other tricks out there to keep the flowers soft? And if so, how far in advance should I made them?

Thanks!
LJ

2 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 3

Hi ~

All of the flowers you made in Course 2 can be done in buttercream. Pipe them on waxed paper squares, as you would for RI flowers, and then put them in the freezer. Once frozen, quickly peel off the paper and put them on your cake. They will thaw to room temperature very quickly, so I recommend only doing 3 or 4 at a time.

Others like air-drying their buttercream flowers, but I don't...and I don't think SMBC will air-dry.

Serious_cakes has some neat tutorials on Youtube for making BC flowers directly on cakes. I haven't watched them all, and I don't know if she does any that we normally make in Course 2 out of royal icing, but you should check them out. icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 3

Here you go thumbs_up.gif
Roses:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%