Ribbon On Cake

Decorating By JenLGAJ Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 4:38pm by Shelly4481

JenLGAJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLGAJ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 7

I'd like to use real ribbon on my cake as I've seen in so many beautiful cc photos. Borders, toppers.
A few questions though...

what kind of ribbon do I use/avoid?
how do I adhere it to the cake? I usually use a glue of water/disolved gumpaste.
any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

Jen

6 replies
MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 7

I like to coat my ribbon with shortening before putting on the cake. If you don't do this, sometimes the grease from the cake leaks into the ribbon in spots making it look splotchy. Ew.
Then I just adhere to cake with a few dots of icing. When you coat with shortening, just be warned that it may turn your ribbon a little darker in shade.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 7

I have used wax paper and applied heat with an iron.

cakediva01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva01 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 7

I like the ideas I'm seeing regarding attaching the ribbon. However, I do have to say that I prefer using wired ribbon because the bows always look so nice. Previously, I've just tucked the ribbon under the cake a bit and then put my border around the circumference and that continues to hold it as well. I guess it depends on the total look you're going for. In any event, I LOVE real ribbon v. fondant or gum paste.

JenLGAJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLGAJ Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 7

hmm... thanks for the tips.... good to know. icon_smile.gif

Do you coat both sides of ribbon w/ shortening or just the side next to the cake?

And I have no clue how I would use wax paper and an iron.... can you explain further to this newbie! icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 7

I coat both sides of the ribbon. Basically I just put shortening on my fingers and run the ribbon through it until it is coated.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 7

If you let the cake crust well you can just put the ribbon on. I do it all the time. Never had a problem with spots on the ribbon. Have used all different kinds of ribbon. Whatever the bride brings me to match her colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%