Help, Please....

Decorating By maimai16 Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm by Shaa

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 12

hi everyone =)

i'm in search of a good buttercream recipe that can stand the heat here in our country(philippines). i got a lot of recipe that suggests using shortening to withstand heat. but i dont like the taste of buttercream using half butter and half shortening(i used crisco, fyi). then i came across the CBS or cocoa butter substitute on our local cake supply store. i asked the people from there if i can use it for icing, no doubt they said yes. well, i wanted to be sure so i have searched the net. here's what i've found:

cocoa butter substitute
detailed description
This product is based on fractionated and hydrogenated Palm Kernel fat that contains high levels of lauric triglycerides in its composition. This is a non-tempering fat with a very sharp melt profile. It has a low viscosity in the molten state. CBS is used extensively for molding and enrobing. It has very high heat cycling stability. Melf profile, flavor release of compounds made out of CBS is comparable with that of chocolate. APPLICATION: General purpose coating fat, wafer & crackers, biscuits creaming & toffee filling, non-dairy creamer STORAGE: Keep cocoa butter substitute in cool, dry storage and free from foreign odors. Avoid direct sun light. PACKAGING: Cocoa butter substitute is packed in 20 kgs carton. STANDARD DOCUMENT: Packing List, Bill of Lading, Certificate of Origin, Health Certificate, Certificate of Analysis.

here's the thing, do you think it is ok to use cbs as shortening replacement? has somebody tried this before? i'm too afraid to try it. effort and money is holding me back to try without asking you guys...

sorry for the long post.... i just need your opinion =)

thanks in advance =)

here's the link of the definition i've found http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/215147010/cocoa_butter_substitute.html

11 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 12

Oh I have wondered about that too! Coco butter is soo dreamy but pricey.

mandice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandice Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 12

i'm no expert here, but i'm going to say that i dont think the cbs would work the way that you want it to.
sure the cake store people said you can put it in icing, but did you explain you needed your icing to hold up to the heat?

my logic is this.. cocoa butter is used in chocolates. (i realize this product you're looking at is a substitute, but as a subsitute it should hold the same purpose.) chocolate can't hold up to heat for beans.

also, i can't help but feel that the cbs itself might have a weird taste. i mean sure, crisco doesn't taste awesome, but i wouldn't say it gives a horrible taste to bc.. i think it's more like the aftertaste texture of it that people dont like?
i can't help but feel that making your bc with cbs might taste worse than your buttercream with crisco? but that's just me

if no one really knows.. i think your only option is to stick it out and do a trial run. make a tiny batch of both (one crisco, on cbs) and leave it out for a bit?

sorry if this doesn't help lol

maimai16 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 12

cbs is much cheaper here than crisco...

sadsmile Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 12

I thought coco butter is really thick dence stuff...?(thinking about the hard stick of coco butter I slathered on my pregnant belly 4 different time..LOL)

Is food grade coco butter really soft like crisco?
Isn't the milk and water in chocolate that makes it's melting point?
I am so curious!

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 12

what sort of texture is it - the only cocoa butter I've seen is hard as a rock at room temp - does CBS have something more in it to soften it a bit?

maimai16 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 12

@mandice:
hmmm.... but ii've read that cbs is used in chocolate as extender(link:http://www.oleofats.com/glossaryofterms.htm... i have tried this before, after piping a melted a white chocolate, it holds ti shape after setting... if nobody has experience with cbs, i guess i'll have to make a tiny experiment on this =(

maimai16 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 12

bakers2, cbs here is like a crisco... our climate here is hot so i guess it explains why cbs is soft here.

sadsmile Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 12

Oh please post your results with pics if you can. I can't to hear what you learn! I make dairy free allergen friendly stuff with vegan butter alternatives and stabalizing BC has been a real issue for me. Coco butter is natural and I would preferr this to the powdered stabilizers I have been experimenting with. I am thinking that it would make it like a white chocolate BC with a smooth rich flavor.

maimai16 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 12

oh i will sadsmile... but i guess it would take awhile before i get my hands in experimenting with this... got 11 cakes due this coming week =(

mandice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandice Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 12

yeah.. i don't know anymore lol.
i know that cocoa butter is added to chocolate to make it more fluid, which is why i was thinking that it wouldn't hold.

but now that you mention it, yeah.. as far as i know cocoa butter comes as a solid...

sooo.. yeahh... i'm out of ideas icon_sad.gif

Shaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaa Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 12

I use this recipe: 1 cup crisco
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
1 teaspoon clear vanilla flavoring
1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring
1 tablespoon meringue powder
4 cups powder sugar
2 tablespoons water
In large bowl, cream shortening with flavors. Add meringue powder, add sugar 1 cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom often. Add water and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Makes about 3 cups hope this helps you out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%