Tiered Cake

Decorating By Unisteph Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 2:27am by gerripje

Unisteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unisteph Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a B-day cake for my husband's 85 year old grandfather. There will be approx. 25-30 people. I was planning on doing a tiered cake rather than doing a sheet cake.

I already have a 10in round pan and was hoping to use that as my base. I know in my Wilton 3 class they had us use a 10inch round base with a 6 in round top.

My question is would it look silly to use an 8 inch round on top of a 10 inch round? I am nervous that by using the 6 inch I won't have enough cake. I also think that using a 12 inch round with an 8 inch will be way too much cake.

Ayn suggestions?

4 replies
beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 5

I think it would be fine with the 8 and 10.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 5

With the 8 and 10 you will have a one inch shelf and that looks nice in my opinion. With the 6 and 10 you have a two inch shelf. Just depends on what look you are going for with your design. Tecnically that would be anough servings but those tiny slices are hard for me to cut so I personally would go with the bigger 8 and 10 size option.

Unisteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unisteph Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:11am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your help. I guess I will go with the 8 inch and 10 inch!

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 5

That's exactly the size I was going to try. I still might put the 6 on top cause she really wanted a three tier cake for some reason. I will have to make it freezable in that case!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%