What To Charge For Toppers?? Need Advice Pls...

Business By lostincake Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 5:49am by FromScratch

lostincake Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #1 of 7

Hi CC'ers,

I'm planning to start my cake decorating business soon and am currently working on my Business Plan. I am trying to get an idea of what pricing structure I would offer and have a good grasp of what to charge for cakes but not for toppers! I've searched cake businesses in my area but not many offer toppers and those that do don't put pricing.

Was wondering how everyone else does it. Do you charge for how long it takes you to make it, by size, by complexity or by what you think someone would pay?

For an average size figurine, what would someone charge on average?

For example, what would you charge for the MMF topper on this cake? It took me about 1 hour total with all the flowers & the plaque it stands on.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1323390

Or for this MMF Santa figure?...which took me about 5 hrs - hopefully that will get quicker!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297031

Or a standard loopy bow topper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and for those who are not comfortable posting, I wouldn't mind if you PM'd me.

P.S. I'm from just outside Toronto, ON Canada if this helps.

TIA!!

**edited for typo**

6 replies
lostincake Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 7

icon_smile.gif

OhMyGanache Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 7

$20 for the 1st topper, $15-25 for a bow (depending on size), $25 for the Santa.

lostincake Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for responding OhMyGanache...it gives me somewhere to start icon_smile.gif

**edited to add 2nd part of sentence**

FromScratch Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #5 of 7

The # topper I would start at $30... bows I start at $10 for a small 2 looped bow and $20 for small multi-looped bows... figures I used to start at $30 each, but I am upping that to $50. They take a long time to make and they definitely take skill, and if Planet Cake can charge the amount they do ($150 each and up)... I can charge $50. icon_wink.gif

lostincake Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:26am
post #6 of 7

Thanks jkalman - and wow I love your zombie figurine - for that quality of work I can see charging $50! LOL. This all gives me perspective - and also thanks for the heads up on what Planet Cake charges too icon_wink.gif .

FromScratch Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:49am
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much for the compliment. icon_smile.gif I loved that Zombie too. Alas... he was eaten by my husband's cousin. It was his cake... but I was sad to see him beheaded... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%