Ufc Cake Help!

Decorating By Missy21 Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm by ncbert

Missy21 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to cake decorating, and I need some advice. I'm doing a UFC (Ultimate Fighting) themed cake for the boyfriend of a friend of mine. Basically, I am making an octagon shaped cake, to mimic the shape of the fighting ring, but my dilemma is that I need to make a "cage" around the edges. I am wondering how the heck to make a cage, and if you guys have any ideas, that would be wonderful! Thank you!!!

9 replies
gerripje Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:36am
post #2 of 10

Hmmm, you mean all around? I would try gum paste since it will dry hard and stay where you want it. At least this will give you a bump!

Missy21 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking, but it's going to be pretty time consuming. I guess I had better get started!

lisa5573 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 10

You may be able to make the cage out of royal icing, like the technique used to make the princess tiara's. I've never tried this personally but that is the first thing that came to mind. I know it would be VERY fragile!

Good luck. I'd love to see pics when you're done. My sisters BF is a UFC fighter also!

tdybear1978 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 10

here is one that i did

all4cake Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 10

Did you have another thread going at the same time as this one? Please, tell me I wasn't dreaming!

Great cake tdybear1978!

ncbert Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 10

I did a UFC cake. I went to the fabric store and in the tule..sp?(netting) fabric,I found a black tule that was stiffer . I used black food coloring to paint the posts(dowels) black. I stuck them in and put the tule around and used a dab of melted dark chocolate to hold in place.

Missy21 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you so much everyone!

all4cake: You know what? I was wondering the EXACT same thing! I think I must have accidentally posted twice or something, because I could have sworn that someone different had replied! Good to know I'm not going crazy!

ncbert: I think I will end up doing something similar to this idea. I just don't have the time to be experimenting with royal icing (though I wish I did - I like the idea of everything being edible (technically)). Do you think they will have this tule at Michaels?

all4cake Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 10

ncbert Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 10

Micheals may have it but it may be the flimsy type. It was cheap at the fabric store under $2.oo,I think as I only bought a strip of it .
It was very easy and the effect was perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%