Chocolate Wasc....................

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 12:52am by tannersmom

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 14

I have a cake to make and she wants it chocolate. I love WASC but I was wondering if you can mix up the flavors. Example: Can i use a box of chocolate cake mix instead of white? If so, what will the results be? I have never stacked a cake using this recipe or WASC. will it be sturdy, durable enough to stack a 3 tier cake? I haven't had much luck with chocolate cakes. They are ALWAYS to moist. They always split on me. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. One more question, the cake is going to be 10,8,6 Buttercream with circles and stripes on the layers. Will this cake serve 50 people? I figured about 53 serving if you use Earlene's. Is this right. I normally charge $2.50 a serving. Is it over priced. Ok enough. I"m done. Sorry so long.

Stephanie

13 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:26am
post #2 of 14

okay....here we go!

Yes, you can make a chocolate version. For mine I use chocolate fudge cake mixes, then use 1 cup cocoa and 1 cup flour (when using the double recipe).

WASC...well, I only use vanilla, so mine's WVSC is VERY durable. It's perfect for stacking. That's what all those extra ingredients do! It's a denser, durable cake.

You should have plenty of cake with those sizes.

As for price, why not? If that's a good price for your area, then go for it!

Jodie

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 14

There's a chocolate WASC recipe on here
Here's the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7367-AMAZING-Chocolate-WASC-Cake.html

I just made this for work today and everyone loved it.

tannersmom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:31am
post #4 of 14

Thanks for the replies. I did look up that recipe, but i'm not sure about the coffee. The cake is for a 16 yr. old. Does it taste like coffee?

Stephanie

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:44am
post #5 of 14

In my experience, the coffee enhances the chocolate flavor but does NOT make the cake taste like coffee.

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:44am
post #6 of 14

Hi the coffee brings out the chocolate taste but you can't taste the coffee.

Tannersmom
There is a couple of chocolate cake recipes in the Gourmet Flavors doc link listed below.

cecerika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecerika Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:58am
post #7 of 14

I too use coffee even for younger kids, but if you're worried, use decaf and use half coffee and half water.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:34am
post #8 of 14

I always use strong black coffee when I make the chocolate version. It does bring out the flavor without adding any coffee taste and it's such a small amount that the caffiene content isn't very high.

I've stacked with the chocolate version too; 14, 10, 6 (It's the Willow Tree wedding cake in my gallery if you want to see.)

I've done chocolate fudge and devil's food cake mixes (not mixed together though!) and both turned out very yummy. Moist but not squishy. icon_smile.gif HTH

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:41am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting

Moist but not squishy. icon_smile.gif HTH

This description cracked me up! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:04am
post #10 of 14

Rebecca Sutterby's WASC cake recipe with flavor variations:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

kakeladi's Original WASC:
(Doesn't use any oil/fat. And can also be ANY flavor.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-599677-.html

Another chocolate WASC variation:
(Cocoa powder & coffee.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-587744-.html

HTH

P.S. Just a thought (and don't mean any disrespect) but when you cool your cake layers...
When removing from pan/s to cooling rack/s, be sure to turn again so that they're "right" side up on the cooling rack/s. Cooling on their "humps" will usually result in the layer cracking.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:22am
post #11 of 14

Good topic. Quick question: How would you make kakeladi's original WASC recipe into a chocolate cake? What ratio of this and that would you add? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

tannersmom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:59pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks you guys!
JanH; certainly No disrect from you. I need and can handle any constructive criticism that I can get. LOL
I do turn my chocolate layers but they are always to moist. When I go to turn them, they fall all to pieces. If I leave them alone(cooled in pan) they are very moist but not so crumbly.

Thanks
Stephanie

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 14

Here is my version of chocolate WASC, the one I think you might have been questioning, as it contains coffee in place of water. icon_smile.gif http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7367-AMAZING-Chocolate-WASC-Cake.html

I have tweaked WASC into chocolate many different ways over the years, but that one was finally the correct ratio of everything.

Try a bunch of chocolate cake recipes and you will find your favorite too! icon_smile.gif

tannersmom Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:52am
post #14 of 14

Thanks you guys. I don't know what I'd do without ya.

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%