Should I Try??

Decorating By MelissaRae Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 7:24pm by MelissaRae

MelissaRae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaRae Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 4

I have been decorating cakes as a hobby for the past year for friends and family. Everytime I take a cake to a party somewhere, lots of people come and look and ask about them. There are not any cake shops, that I am aware of, in my area that do cakes like I do. I have been thinking about starting a home business or using a friends kitchen and doing more cakes and actually charging for them. What do you guys think? Do I have what it takes? thanks thumbsdown.gifthumbs_up.gif

3 replies
luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 4

If you have people asking for them, you have already generated some interest. You might want to look into getting some business coaching and help with a business plan, etc. check with the city, a lot of cities have groups of retired business owners who volunteer their time to help possible small business owners.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 4

In my opinion, your talent is amazing. You definitely have what it takes! I would recommend that you find out what the state requires in terms of a home baking business. Once you've met those requirements, you need to do a little legwork regarding pricing so you start out charging enough for your cakes. If you are interested in supplementing your income, then just start selling cakes! Your great skill will sell itself. However, a would say a business plan is a must if you are looking at meeting the overhead that would come with a cake shop or additional employees. Personally, I just started by agreeing to sell a cake to the first person who asked! Everything has grown from there! But, I still work full time at my real job and have 2 little girls, so I'm only filling 2-3 orders a month. But, it's fun and brings in enough money to support itself.

MelissaRae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaRae Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you mandysue and luvsfreebies! I work full time and have two little kids so its more of something that I am going to have to slowly start. I've been paid for a few of my cakes ($100 for both of the Little Mermaid ones). When most people ask about my cakes and prices on something they want, I quote them like $40 and they look at me like I am crazy and that is way too much... It cost me almost that much to make it plus I am spending hours decorating and cooking it. I'll just let them go to costco icon_smile.gif I enjoy making cakes but I'm not sure it I will really make any money doing it. Plus, having the sweets around all the time has made me gain weight and not to mention the mess in the kitchen when you already hate doing the dishes icon_cry.gif I just don't get how people think cakes are so cheap? I had a cousin of a friend who was getting married whose her cake decorator cancelled on her cause she missed an appointment ask me to do a cake and I quoted $75. She had the nerve to say she didnt have the money and asked if she could pay at a later date ??? WTF I am doing you a last minute favor and I have to pay for the ingredients too?? She never got a call back

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%