Help! Forgot Eggs!!

Decorating By Jrnygirl Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 11:45pm by lostincake

Jrnygirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 10

First I will apologize if this is here already, this is my first post here but I need urgent help. I made 2 cake mixes at once and only added enough eggs for 1 cake mix...cake is already in the oven...do I need to throw it away and start over? I'm assuming it will not turn out but just thought I would check. icon_redface.gif

Thanks so much!

9 replies
mbt4955 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 10

I wish I could give you a quick answer, but here's a bump. Maybe someone who knows will pop in soon.

lostincake Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 10

I would not throw it out yet. I would just let it bake up and then when leveling, try a piece and see the texture.

I've seen cake recipes that are exactly the same but the only difference is the number of eggs required. So as long as you have some eggs, it should bake up fine but the only difference might be in the texture of the cake. For example, more egg whites lends to a lighter, fluffier cake. More egg yolk usually makes a cake more firm or dense. At least that's my experience.

I've inadvertently used the wrong number of eggs in a recipe that I use often and it really didn't make a difference to the final product.

I'm not an expert so hopefully someone else with more knowledge can better answer this for you but personally I wouldn't throw it out just yet. It might end up ok.

Cakepro Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 10

I'm no eggspert, but I think it will be fine. icon_smile.gif

Jrnygirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for your quick replies! Just took it out of the oven and it looks ok, it just looks like it didn't rise as much as normal. I think I will taste it and see what happens. Thanks again!

GenGen Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 10

like vlin28 said i agree onwait and see.. i've had times where i only had Jumbo eggs and had to try to do some figuring out ifi had too much etc.. if i should use large or medium.. once used too many mediums cause i thought i had to use large..... i'm sure it will work out ok icon_smile.gif think positive thoughts icon_smile.gif

lostincake Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

LOL!!!

GenGen Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Jrnygirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 10

ok...I cut a little off one side and it seems to be ok. Good thing it's just for my sister and I'm sure she will love it. Thanks again for getting back to me so fast!

lostincake Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 10

Glad to hear all is well icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%