Small Cakes

Baking By jouj Updated 1 May 2009 , 7:55pm by cylstrial

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone, I was wondering how you would price small individual cakes, such as these I'm attaching, compared to cupcakes. Do you charge the same as cupcakes, or do you charge like you would per person if you were making a whole cake?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1198633

Or:
LL

14 replies
luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 15

I just saw an episode of Amazing Wedding Cakes where they did something similar (180 individual cakes). They charged per person, same as one whole cake. As would I, if I were going to do this. Takes the same amount of work (if not more) to make individual cakes as one large one.

jouj Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks for your reply.

BTW, these are not my cakes, I hope their creators wouldn't mind me posting them in order to explain what I wanted to know.
I didn't post my things, because I simply never made small cakes other than cupcakes, so far, but I'm willing to start making these cute cakes.

jouj Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 15

Anyone else's opinion please??

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 15

For the cakes in the picture with the gumpaste flowers I would charge $15 per cake.

jouj Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks Jenn2179. Can I ask for what size of that cake woud you charge 15$? Thanks again.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 15

For a 3 in round. The smaller they are the harder they are and the longer they take. Therefore the more I would charge.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:07am
post #8 of 15

From what I understand people charge more for small individual cakes, depending on design & size, $8-$22. They are a little harder to work with & thats why the price goes up, definitly more then a cupcake or serving of cake price. I think for those cakes at 4" they would be $10, but you know what your work is worth to you best.

jouj Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks a lot. This helped. I wonder what the customers would say when I tell them that the small cake costs the same per person as the whole cake!! I have a lot of customers who order cupcakes because they're cheaper per person than cakes, I'm sure these customers think that small cakes cost as much as cupcakes. icon_rolleyes.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 15

Don't forget cupcakes cost the exact same & sometimes more then a serving of cake. An individual cake cost MORE then a cake serving. People have to learn little means more, cause little is harder to do! Good luck icon_smile.gif

jouj Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 15

You're right, cupcakes and small cakes take more time to make than cakes. Even though cupcakes are cute, I prefer making a big cake, instead of making cupcakes, and of course getting paid better. icon_wink.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 15

Don't forget to factor in the cost for each cake board for all those mini cakes as well as the cost for all the boxes you will need!

jouj Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 15

CookiezNCupcakez: thanks for reminding me, I totally forgot about the boards thing, I'll have to calculate this too.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm
post #14 of 15

thumbs_up.gif Your welcome! Please let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:55pm
post #15 of 15

Whoa! Those little cakes were amazing! They were SO detailed!! I would charge A LOT if you're going to make those bad boys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%