Allergy Free Arsenal

Baking By MyDiwa Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 4:17am by MyDiwa

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I love making and decorating cake, but unfortunately I am surrounded by a lot of friends and family with different kinds of allergies. As these are supposed to be the lucky recipients of my de-stressing cake-making, I really need to build an arsenal of allergy friendly cakes. I've looked around the internet and tried some but a lot of them.....eeeeeeeeewwwww! I'm tired of wasting time and money making cake I have to throw out. So I figured this is the best place to find tried and tested recipes all in one place from people that actually spend a decent amount of time obsessing over cake!

Please would you give me scrumptious recipes that you have actually tried a couple of times and they've been really good. Likenormal cake good rather than allergy free cake good if you know what I mean.

Thanks very much in advance.

5 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 6

have you tried looking in the recipe section here on CC? (welcome, by the way!)

There are lots of great recipes, and you can choose based on the specific ingredients you need to leave out based on your family's issues.

good luck!

snowflake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowflake12 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 6

Crazy Cake in the receipe section is a fabulous egg free chocolate cake. I've tried several different versions of this cake, and this one gives me the best results and taste.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-952-8-Crazy-Cake.html

I'm currently working on finding an egg-less Vanilla cake receipe, and so far I've had two attempts that were both not so hot.

Additionally, you can try using a box mix (read the label though) and using a substitue ingrediant.

For eggs...Ener-G egg replacer is good (do not use Egg beaters, that still contains eggs).
For milk...use soy or rice milk.
For butter...a dairy free margerine may work.

I've had good and bad luck with the Ener-G stuff. So I've been on the hunt for receipes that don't contain eggs from the get go. I am waiting for "Vegan Cupcakes take over the world" from the library. But if you do a google search for Vegan cake, you may find some good receipes. Once I get the vanilla cake down pat, my next goal is a spice cake and a carrot cake.

Hope this helps some.

snowflake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowflake12 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 6

Another option that I've found a ton of receipes to try is going to allrecipes and instead of typing in egg free cakes (those were pretty bad), in the ingrediant search feature...type sugar in the ingrediant you are looking for and eggs (or whatever else you don't want) in the ingrediant you don't want list. I've come up with WAY more cakes this way. Plus there are reviews of everything, so that helps as well.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 6

snowflake - I just got Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World recently and so far I've made 2 of the recipes. One everyone liked (vanilla) and the other got mixed reviews (agave). Hope your library gets a copy for you soon!

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #6 of 6

Thank you snowflake12

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%