Caking And Dieting...

Decorating By too_nice_to_slice Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 3:32pm by Ronbob1984

too_nice_to_slice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
too_nice_to_slice Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 55

Is it even possible?! So I'm going to my first Weight Watchers meeting tonight, and I'm a bit anxious. I'm ok at eating well for meals, and drink water like crazy. I even work out now and then icon_rolleyes.gif But baking always kills my diet. I snack on my scraps or "just taste" my icing. And goodness forbid I decide to try a new flavor... I guess I'm just venting, but is there anyone out there who's been sucessul in their quest for weight loss? To get to my target weight, I need to lose 50 or so lbs...

54 replies
janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 55

Ugh, I hate the combination!! I just started working out this winter, being home with 3 little kids, and caking is just not good!! I even signed up with a trainer to make sure I'm getting the most from my workouts. The problem is I'm definitely not a dieter! icon_smile.gif I've lost only 5lbs so far, but a dress size too, which makes it easier and easier to go to the gym. To get to my target I have 20lbs to lose. I really haven't altered my eating at all, so I guess I can't complain! I've been to WW before, and it really works!! I just can't keep it up forever!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_nice_to_slice

To get to my target weight, I need to lose 50 or so lbs...

I'm right there with you, too_nice. I do occasionally snack on scraps but I try to get rid of them as soon as possible. I usually crumble them and toss them out for the birds. They have become so accustomed to this that on my cake days, they actually congregate in my backyard and will even land at my feet waiting for their goodies. icon_biggrin.gif

The diet killer is chocolate scraps, which I don't throw out because I'm afraid a dog will eat them and become ill.

Good luck with the WW.

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 55

Well my experience with "dieting" (just tryin to shed a few pounds) and making cake is that as long as eat everything in moderation, its ok. What I do is to work out...no matter what you eat, just make sure you are working out atleast 3 days a week.

And when it comes to the cake, cookies, and all the other goodness....if you just taste it, then it's cool...just make sure you chase it with a good amount of agua. I have a problem with sweets...so I feel your pain A LOT!

Also, it helps to have someone there other than you to taste the icing, scraps...and whatever else...trust me my brother always does the tasting so he knows how it should taste.

Hope that helps some...

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 55

I am on WW again too. I also have tasted everything I baked in the past. And I will tell you what I did in the past and what worked and what I am doing again. I put a picture of myself on the fridge where I can see it And I hung a mirror where I could see myself sideways in the kitchen. At first it was depressing because I have so much to loose. But after awhile as I lost more it became an incentive not to taste and sample everything because I was doing so well. I did bake my Hubby and myself some dessert once a week so I did not feel deprived and that was all I ate sweet wise and I lost quite a bit. You just can't keep testing everying you bake and cook all the time you will never loose weight. Right now I am recovering from double knee replacement surgury and lack of movement has caused weight gain again icon_cry.gif so back to WW. But soon it will be summer and I hope to be more active and will loose the weight eaiser.

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 55

I feel your pain! But it is possible if you are diligent and don't give up!
I have lost 25lbs since the start of the year and I can't seem to stop tasting! icon_mad.gif
I am still losing, but I just know I would do better if I would control my tasting urges. icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 55

I, too, am on WW. If I were to eat an actual slice or piece, I would count the points for it. But if I am just taking a taste, I don't. If it's not a plate, it doesn't count, right? icon_biggrin.gif

I just try to limit my tasting and I really try not to dip into my flex points.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 55

I chew TONS of mint gum while I bake so that I have mint in my mouth.. which doesn't usually mix well with cake taste.

icon_smile.gif

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 55

oooohhhhh I know exactly what you're talking about!! Somehow, I need to loose 50lbs too!!! My problem is that I just LOOOOOOVE the upper part of the freshly baked cake after I level it. I don't eat it everytime I bake a cake, otherwise I would need to loose 150lbs, so I rarely eat them. Other than that, the smell of too much cake and icing makes me nauseated, so I rarely taste any of my sweets. My friends always have a joke, they tell me that it seems that I'm gaining weight simply by "smelling" the all the sweets I make and maybe I'm inhaling all the powdered sugar in the air!!! I'm starting to believe that it's true, because even when I go on diet, I don't loose weight. icon_cry.gif

I just wish you good luck with your WW diet.

By the way, my husband's birthday is November 19 icon_razz.gif

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 55

Chew gum while you are baking. It really helps...but like any other dieting trick, you have to make yourself do it, which might be just as hard as making yourself NOT take nibbles in the first place! It sucks and I HATE not eating whatever I want, which explains why I weigh more than ever!!!

Another thought is to be really organized as far as meals. I post a weekly menu...ideally this menu would already have the points figured...I shop based on the menu....then, when it's supper time, it's not as tempting to order in or run to McDonalds. This is a great tip for anyone, but we cakers are especially busy, and it can be easy on days when you are really busy finishing cakes to order pizza instead of figuring out what to make for dinner!

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 55

I've been doing weight watchers since the beginning of the year and I have lost 20 lbs. It's a good program and I like it a lot. When I'm making cakes I level the top of the cake and it goes immediately into the trash can so that I'm not even tempted. That's the only way I can manage not to eat it. I actually just ate my first piece of cake since December on Sunday for my sister's birthdayicon_smile.gif

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 55

I have tried every thing to loose weight. But that nasty cake hump calls to me. I have even gone to the extreme of asking my doctor to help. I informed him that I have a" hump addiction". he didn't help he just said I needed to bring him cake next time i come in.

I'm doomed..

janebrophy Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 55

TripleD - That's hilarious!!! My trainer told me he'll work for cake! icon_smile.gif Talk about counter-productive!!

I actually threw out some "humps" this morning, for the first time ever! I'm pretty proud!

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

I have tried every thing to loose weight. But that nasty cake hump calls to me. I have even gone to the extreme of asking my doctor to help. I informed him that I have a" hump addiction". he didn't help he just said I needed to bring him cake next time i come in.

I'm doomed..

That's hilarious! Maybe you need to go to "Humpers Anonymous?" Oh, wait, that's probably for a different kind of addiction!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 55

Last week I joined the site www.sparkpeople.com - in the My Nutrition section, I put in every single thing I eat.

Okay, here it is. I started last sunday (a week and 2 days ago). We had a cookout after church, so I stayed and ate with everyone. Then a bunch of us went to the park, the kids played while we chatted (and snacked, on pineapple!!) and then grilled and the park. We came home and had a piece of cake each. After the kids were in bed, my husband and I each had a rum and gingerale. 4,000 calories!!! can you believe that. I don't know why that was the day I decided to join spark people, but it was and I was just disgusted! I'm suppose to get 1,300-1,700 a day!

It has a menu option, and grocery list, so you can print your grocery list, buy the stuff and make what they tell you to, it's different each day. They do have recipes too.

All that to say, 1 week and 2 days later, and I've lost 7 pounds. I'm sticking to it!!! I have about 35 more to go, hopefully I can make it through wedding season!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #16 of 55

Ive been on a low carb now since January and work out faithfully 3-5 times a week. Have lost 38 lbs so far. I really never could eat while I bake but the mint thing is a good idea. Ive just set it in my mind that I cant eat bread and sugar. Just sticking with a small helping of meat and lots of veggies. WW is great too but I hate measuring things.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #17 of 55

It is possible! I have lost about 65 lbs. this last year and a half. I have had a tough time through the holidays but I am happy to say I am back on track. I workout 5 days a week...sometimes twice a day. I also use Sparkpeople.com and highly recommend it. I track my calories and exercises daily. I still have that piece of cake on occasion and pretty much eat what I want....all in moderation. It can be done. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:15pm
post #18 of 55

I'm on South Beach now, and it really works! I was on it after I had my first baby, and I had really good luck with it then, so here I am again after my third! (2 and 3 were much closer than planned... Heh.) It's been a week, and I've lost 5 lbs so far... Using the elliptical trainer every night and lifting weights a few times a week as well. I like it better than Atkins, because it differentiates between carbs. A sugar carb does NOT equal a whole wheat carb. Plus, after the first two weeks, I can have my beloved milk again! YEAH!

I have about 55 lbs to lose to get to my target weight... I'm on my way! It sure helps to have three siblings who are getting into health related occupations! Physical trainer, physical therapist and coach... Lots of encouragement and helpful hints!

too_nice_to_slice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
too_nice_to_slice Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #19 of 55

Ok, so A.) I just literally laughed out loud at "Humpers Anonymous" That's so my problem, too, especially the chocolate cake humps...I'm drooling thinking about one.

But I love the photo motivation idea. And chewing gum. I think I'll try both... icon_smile.gif

karizkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karizkakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:17pm
post #20 of 55

I too just started WW. I went to my 1st meeting last night (although, this is my 2nd time around). I have about 46 lbs to loose.

I have also been worried about the tasting habit that I have when caking, but really haven't had to deal with it yet since I just started WW.

I have actually been looking around today on CC and other sites for the 1 point cake recipe. I've found some, but they're not exactly what I'd heard about before.

The one I'm looking for is 1 can of diet soda and 1 box of cake mix - mix together and bake according to box.
dark soda (diet pepsi, diet dr. pepper, diet cocacola, etc.)- chocolate cake
light soda (diet sprite or diet 7up) - white cake or yellow cake
yellow soda (diet mtn. dew) - lemon or orange cake

I think you could just melt some dark choclate down and drizzle it over the top without adding many more points. I'm going to go home tonight and look at the Nutrition label and my ganache recipe to see how many points they might be.

Anybody have any guidance about the 1 point cake?

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:18pm
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandysue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

I'm doomed..

That's hilarious! Maybe you need to go to "Humpers Anonymous?" Oh, wait, that's probably for a different kind of addiction!

ROFLOL with tears running down my face! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:19pm
post #22 of 55

How big a SERVING is one point? Are we talking dice sized? icon_wink.gif

karizkakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:22pm
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

How big a SERVING is one point? Are we talking dice sized? icon_wink.gif

Either 1/12th or 1/16th,
I'm just going to get the points for the mix, the diet soda has no points, then the points for an "icing" and divide the total points by 12 or 16. Trying to get 1 *crosses fingers*

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #24 of 55

The one point cake was posted recently in the gourmet flavor thread!

1 box of cake mix any flavor
1 can diet soda any flavor

mix and bake. Frost with cool whip.

Thats all it said, hope that helps you. My sister is on WW and now that my post pardum is over, I am starting on it too. I think we are gonna make this with Diet Dr. Pepper! I always add 7up to my pistachio cakes, so maybe you can try it with diet 7up.

I never really ate what I baked, unless it was to try a new recipe. But after my 3rd son was born, 6 weeks ago, I attach what ever I bake! I had 3 pieces of my birthday cake a few weeks ago. It nuts. My sister plans her meals and points around if she is gonna be coming over and I have baked!

Good luck everyone!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:24pm
post #25 of 55

I'm a chronic joiner. Can't even begin to count the number of times I've joined WW. So I decided to walk in the "Weekend to End Breast Cancer". It's a 60 km walk in 2 days. So LOTS of training. My biggest problem is not only cake, but for 2 weeks before that "special time" of the month I retain anywhere from 5 to 8 lbs, and it takes about 1 week to get it off. Unreal! Oh well, my DH still thinks I'm sexy....

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm
post #26 of 55

Hi,all!

I'm a WW too. I've lost 50 pounds and last year DH lost 110 pounds. He has met his goal.

When I bake cake, I set the hump aside till the cake is iced. I use the leftover icing to frost the hump like the back-when Banana Flips.We split it between us early in the morning, then with leftover points have low point foods the rest of the day. I also plan on 15 miles on the exercycle too in the evening.

Monday morning the whole cake goes with him to work. He may have another piece there, but it is NOT hanging around here talking to me.

Oh and I bake all our own bread...fat free, low sugar, one point per slice.

It takes planning and determination!

karizkakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #27 of 55

DO TELL about the homemade bread baking.

Do you use a bread machine or just the oven?

recipe?

Thanks!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #28 of 55

Cake sculpting is the worst! Scraps here and scraps there of delicious moist inside cake...ugh. Icing doesn't tempt me much (chocolate sometimes) but I have a hard time not eating cake.

Lost 25 lbs last year and then kind of maintained...recently began to slowly gain a few of that back so I'm back on my diet and aiming to lose an additional 25-30 lbs to reach goal.

janebrophy Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:46pm
post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbenjr

It is possible! I have lost about 65 lbs. this last year and a half. I have had a tough time through the holidays but I am happy to say I am back on track. I workout 5 days a week...sometimes twice a day. I also use Sparkpeople.com and highly recommend it. I track my calories and exercises daily. I still have that piece of cake on occasion and pretty much eat what I want....all in moderation. It can be done. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Holy Cow!! 5 days/ week!! That's insane! I wish I could get my a$$ to the gym that often!! LOL!

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #30 of 55

I had a bread machine for 12 years and it pooped out a couple of times. DH and DS loved only the tops out of the machine, so I started going to the dough cycle then putting in loaf pans.
When machine went kapoot, i used the same recipe and made in bowl and baked in pans. It worked just fine.

When I joined WW I switched to light whole wheat recipe using butter(more points). One day I melted butter in microwave and forgot to put in dough, and found out it turned out just great wo it.

I use graham flour and bread flour. I'll try to get the recipe on this thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%