Guess I Was Due For A Bad Cake Day

Decorating By cinderspritzer Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 1:19am by webbiedeb

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 3

Don't get me wrong. It started out good. The cake baked fantastically and the filling was perfect.

Somewhere along the line, Satan decided he was gonna help, I guess. I crumb coated it this morning after it was chilled and I was sure it wasn't sticky or moist on the outside. I picked my kid up from school. I added the next layer. It crusted and I used the Melvira Method and went to mix my colors. When I turned back around... The was a crack. I fixed it and readied my bags. I turned around again, and there was another crack. So I fixed that, thinking to myself ''I REALLY hope this isn't going where I think it's going. I mark my points at the top, because I planned to start practicing drop strings.

I turned around to move my bags over to the cake area from the other counter.

I look at the cake, and the bottom seems... wrinkly? I touch it with my finger tip to see if I can smooth it or if I need to paint roller that spot again. It fixes fine (by appearances anyway) and I spin the turntable to check the rest. Then I notice on the other side of the cake, all my BC is slowly migrating to the bottom of the cake. Not melting. Not sliding. Just sorta... settling.

*sigh* Now I KNOW this is gonna be a disaster. I mush it back up with the paint roller and my sides and top are good, so I start with my drops strings. The first one breaks and plasters itself to the side of the cake. I pick it off with the toothpick and get as much of the color off the white as I can. I get all the way around the cake with *perfect* drop strings. I start thinking how excited I am to show my husband when he comes to see it. I have 2 more to go...

Another one breaks. I pick it off with the toothpick and get as much color off. And suddenly I notice that the ENTIRE CAKE has shifted approximately an inch and 1/2 to the other side. Looking at the cake, you'd never know, the layers are still perfect, the icing is still perfect. Except you can see the bottom where I put the ''sticker'' icing to hold the bottom layer of cake to the cake board has smeared.

There's no way I can get it back on there without messing it all up, so I plan on taking all the icing off and starting again. I move it to the center of the board and get my bench scraper to get the icing off. As soon as I touch the bench scraper and start to pull it toward myself...

My cake breaks in half a la The San Andreas Fault. icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif

I decided I was done. I put a big chunk on a plate and gave it to my kid, and the rest is in the garbage.

lol.

2 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 3

I'm sorry you had so many problems......Sometimes we just have "one of those days".

Cindy

webbiedeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webbiedeb Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:19am
post #3 of 3

I'm sorry that you had such problems, but don't feel bad. On Friday the 13th I was delivering a 3 tier wedding cake. It was a small cake- 6 in, 8 in and a 10 in square tier. The cake was beatiful. It was irovy, chocolate and latte. The colors mixed up perfectly. It was buttercream with fondant swirls and mongram on the middle tier. I have delivered stacked cakes before and never had a problem. I thought that since this was a smaller cake it should be fine. Wrong. The cake sifted someone between my house and the venture and it destroyed the cake. This is the first and hopefully the last time this happened to me. I felt so bad. I was able to save the top tier but had to purchase a sheet cake for the reception. I guess we all have bad cake days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%