How Do I Get A Checkerboard/black&white Effect On A Cake

Decorating By millicente Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 3:50am by hallow3

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 6

How do I get a race flag checker board or black and white checkerboard on a square or round cake. I'm a true beginner and need the easiest cleancut route as possible

5 replies
kaykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaykakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 6

I just made one last week and took the easy way. I have a small square cookie cutter. I used it to make the black and white squares to add to the sides of my cake. It was oval to look like a race track . The checker board was all the way around. Worked out great for me didn't take long and was very easy with the cutter.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 6

You can cut the squares from fondant and adhere the squares to the sides. I have a Cars cake in my pics where I did this if you want to check it out.

Bec

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 6

in my spaghetti cake, I took a ruler and a pizza cutter and cut out the squares of fondant evenly. No time at all. I also cover the one in a solid red color and only cut out the white and applied in a checkerd pattern. Good luck

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks a million Ladies......
Ok now should I use buttercream the stick the fondant squares on that.?
Which kind of cake would be the easiest to do a round or square?

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:50am
post #6 of 6

Well I would think Squares are easier. But if I was doing a round I think I would mark the cake for the center point and work out from the center. If your fondant is still soft you will not need anything to attach, but if it was getting a little dry, I just brush very little water to the back and apply.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%