You Need A Tasting? Really?-Update

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 3:11pm by justfrosting

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:12am
post #31 of 36

back in my early days of decorating i had one coworker/friend type person who just got engaged to a really well to do guy (family came from money etc) and as time went and i tried to get her ideas from her, my part in participation in making the cake got smaller and smaller, at first i was to do the cake.. then i was to "help" her aunt who's a professional decorator.. Then cause this aunt was an out of town relative then maybe i could "bake" the cakes for the aunt to DECorate..

i just shook my head. because we were both at work during the last conversation i wasn't able to say what i wanted to and was Going to say.. then all of a sudden Mr wonderful showed up and she snubbed me from that point on.. well you can paint the picture from there..

all she had to do was say i have an aunt who really wants to make my wedding cake it would mean alot to her- hell i'd have been fine! geesh. don't lead me on with a song and dance and treat me like i was something she stepped on! she used to be really really nice but engagement sure turned on her b*tch switch.. oye!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #32 of 36

Wow. Did I make the right decision. I want to print out this thread and throw it on her desk.

Love you guys!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:33am
post #33 of 36

You totally did the right thing.

I hate tastings, too. The gall of these people is amazing. They will drop $280 on an ipod without ever having listened to one, but won't buy a cake without tasting it first.

Now, don't get me wrong. There are those who try out the electronics first. But most people I've personally met (and those in my family) rely on word of mouth...."Oh, I've got one and I really love it. It does this, and that....the service at Joe's Discount Electronics was abfab" etc. SOLD!

So why not listen when our clients say "Oh, Suzy makes the best cakes, I just love them"????

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #34 of 36

Man I can't believe this lady! I had one for the books too... I had a girl call me 7 times in one day for her mom's birthday cake- Can I make it all silver? No Fondant? Crazy requirements... Then needs to have a tasting the next day... So I try to comply because of the person who refered her to me. She showed up at my house with 7 people.. no joke. I thought it was a home invasion. She couldn't make up her mind on anything and kept asking these guys to help.. FInally I just told her LOok these guys don't care what it looks like, they would eat it off the floor.. They left with out booking but have called me since to book.. not sure if I want this one... I feel a headache coming on!
I hope your situation doesn't result in alot of tension at work.. that is the last thing you need. Good job standing up for yourself!!!

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:12am
post #35 of 36

good for you! I also had a co-worker who asked me if I also made cheesecakes, and I said yes. He requested me if I could make a cheesecake so he can taste it. I told him, you gotta be crazy... I am not baking a cheesecake just for you to taste it. Meanwhile he already knows that my baked goods are tasty...he orders carrot cake from me every year!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:11pm
post #36 of 36

The kick in the arse is that I had already purchased all the ingrediants. She is lucky I didn't ask her to reimburse me for the cost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%