First Fondant Cake! Questions??? Please Help!!

Decorating By ramblinrs8 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm by ramblinrs8

ramblinrs8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramblinrs8 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hello! I used decorate cakes for fun a few years ago, but got away from it when I had my son. Anyway, I miss it and want to make a fondant cake for my son's 5th birthday party this weekend. Here are my questions:

What do you use to make the fondant shapes stick to the fondant covered cake? Buttercream? I saw a video and it looked like the girl was using a clear liquid, so I didn't know if it was water or something special.

How far in advance should I decorate the cake?

How far in advance should or could I bake the cakes? I don't want them to be stale.

Any other tips anyone can suggest?

Thank you for your time!!!!
Michelle

6 replies
allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 7

I use vodka to make fondant stick to fondant. There are some good videos on You Tube about covering cakes with fondant, so you might want to check those out, too. Good luck - I hope your cake is a huge success!

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 7

I use clear vanilla, but others use vodka. You can use water, but the vanilla and vodka dry faster because of the alcohol content. I prefer the vanilla because it adds a little flavor and I love the smell.

If I need a cake for Saturday, I bake on Thursday and decorate on Friday. I try not to bake or decorate more than a day or 2 in advance.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 7

Hello! I used decorate cakes for fun a few years ago, but got away from it when I had my son. Anyway, I miss it and want to make a fondant cake for my son's 5th birthday party this weekend. Here are my questions:

Welcome back to cake decorating icon_smile.gif

What do you use to make the fondant shapes stick to the fondant covered cake? Buttercream? I saw a video and it looked like the girl was using a clear liquid, so I didn't know if it was water or something special.

You can use either water or melt a little chunk of you fondant in water and use that as glue. Buttercream would work too but you may be able to see it if it squishes out from under the cutout. Whatever you choose to use you only need a wee bit.

How far in advance should I decorate the cake?

that depends on how intricate the design. If using simple cutouts then you can decorate it on friday for saturday. or even the day of the party if you have time (i on the other hand would be running around crazy trying to get everything ready)

How far in advance should or could I bake the cakes? I don't want them to be stale.

I'd bake on wednesday, tort, fill and crumbcoat on thursday and decorate on friday

Any other tips anyone can suggest?

Have fun
icon_biggrin.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 7

To adhere fondant to fondant, I always use plain ol' water. I've never had a problem with it not sticking.

I have baked cakes to be covered in fondant as far as five days in advance. If I bake that far ahead I freeze the naked, unfilled cakes, then I usually do all of the decorating the day before the cake is due.

Fondant protects the cake from going stale and provided that the cake has a non-perishable filling, it can sit out for a day and still be fine.

HTH!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 7

Hi Michelle, Welcome to CC and congradulations on your first post. When I bake cakes, I bake it two days ahead.Then cover it in fondant and decorate it the day before. If you are going to get busy, bake the cake and freeze it. And you can take the cake out like morning before the party is, thaw it properly then fill, cover and decorate. You can use water, clear alcohol or piping gel.

HTH.

ramblinrs8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramblinrs8 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you! I appreciate all of the replies! They all really helped a lot! I will post a picture, well as long as it turns out ok. Thanks again.

Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%