Help Me Pleeeeezzzz!!!!(I'll Be Ur Best Friend!!) Lol!!

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 7:02am by FlourPots

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:04am
post #1 of 9

Hello everybody!!! I need help. I need to make a BIG cake topper shaped like a mushroom(about 3" in diameter). I would like to mold it out of fondant or something similar......Will you girls/guys share some tips,hints,info.....on how i might go about this????? I'd appreciate it greatly!!, Thanks!!! icon_lol.gif

8 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:09am
post #2 of 9

My only advice would be to add some tylose or something to help it harden up faster. And do it in advance I guess. I think a mushroom would not be too complicated of a design but the painted details will probably make it look insane.

Are you doing a hippie cake? ppp, or just a spring theme, etc? Cool idea icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:10am
post #3 of 9

I made a cupcake out of Rice Krispy Treats that looked like a mushroom before decorating it...I know you said fondant, but if you'd like to know what I did, I'll post it.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:16am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Are you doing a hippie cake? ppp, or just a spring theme, etc? Cool idea icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestion!, I'm actually doing a 'bratz' themed cake and wanted to do something a little different...that's where the mushroom comes in. Also, the invitations have mushrooms on them(it's the bratz fairies).

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:20am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

I made a cupcake out of Rice Krispy Treats that looked like a mushroom before decorating it...I know you said fondant, but if you'd like to know what I did, I'll post it.

Oh, that is a good idea! and that's exactly what i need...talented ppl with great imaginations to help my ideas go a step beyond!!!! And YES! i would love to know how you did that. Please share... thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:22am
post #6 of 9

Here's my advice with a little hybrid between Cakediva73's and FlourPots' advice. I think you should mold the mushroom with Rice Krispy Treats or make your own if you want and then you cover it with fondant (added with a little bit of tylose). That way things are stable and you don't ever need to worry about it being too soft or lose its shape. I mean its a more convenient way than making the whole thing out of fondant/tylose mixture right, especially if you need it asap?

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:35am
post #7 of 9

I'm not in a terrible hurry, i was just stumped after searching forever for a 'fondant mushroom'. What i saw the most was for Super Mario and that didn't really help.

FlourPots Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:52am
post #8 of 9

Here you go:
I used a coffee mug as a mold for the base...I pushed the Krispies down with my hand, about half-way...it slid right out and was the perfect shape. For the top, I used a ladle...I pushed the Krispies into the scoop part, and that also made the perfect shape.

I sat the rounded half onto the base and it stuck itself together, LOL. When I tried to separate them awhile later to add melted choc. (glue), there was no need.

This worked well since the Krispies were so sticky...a real pain in the you-know-what to try to shape by hand.

I'll try to add a photo, sorry I don't have one of it undecorated...(the mini Big Bird is a candle, and on top was a large fondant number 1)

FlourPots Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:02am
post #9 of 9

Let me try again...

I think if you used a narrower glass or cup, instead of a wide mug, you could definitely get it to look like a mushroom.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%