2-Layer Sheetcakes?

Decorating By Liniti Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 6:22am by kim62808

Liniti Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:58am
post #1 of 9

I did a "search" for my answer but nothing popped up. My question is this.....is it possible to make a 2-layer 13x9 sheetcake? I don't want to torte it, I want to make 2 separate cakes, add a filling, and frost it nicely. Possible? Or am I just asking for trouble?

8 replies
sweetcakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #2 of 9

yes you can. make sure your board is strong enough and charge more, cause you have now doubled the servings.

JanH Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 9

This thread might be helpful....

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above thread has popular CC recipes for: crusting American b/c's, doctored cake mix and fondant.

Also has link to illustrated common cake support systems with complete directions.

In addition, there are links to the Wilton site for cake preparation and servings guides. If you check out the preparation/servings guides you will see batter requirements for all cake pans by size and depth (including sheets). Also gives recommended baking temps. and times.

There's also decorating help (how to smooth and so much more).

HTH

BTW, the WASC cake in the above thread is great when making larger or multiple cakes. A 1/2 recipe (use 1 DH white cake mix) yields a tad over 7 cups which is perfect for a 13x9x2 layer.

A full recipe makes a tad over 14 cups which is perfect for a 12x18x2 layer.

indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:13am
post #4 of 9

I just posted a 2-layer 12x18 cake, so a 9x13 will be "a piece of cake!"

It's no different than doing a 2-layer 8" round, or 10" round. Just think of it as it's just a different shape, that's all. thumbs_up.gif

Liniti Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:23am
post #5 of 9

Thanks all for your responses. Can't wait to make one!

SHogg Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:33am
post #6 of 9

I've done lots of 2-layer sheet cakes. I always level them first before layering. I find them to be easier to layer and get straight than the little 4" or 6" cakes. thumbs_up.gif

kim62808 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:36am
post #7 of 9

Hi !

This one is a cake I made my little boy it was easy it is 2 9x13 cakes { with a pinapple , coolwhip , pudding filling . It was at least 100 degrees outside that day but it did good , I did'nt even use dowles but I should have just in case { so maybe straws or dowles in the middle } ,, but it was just a family party . It does feed alot . Ps it ws quite taller than I had expected .
LL

Liniti Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:09am
post #8 of 9

Thanks SHogg for the advice and kim what a fantastic cake! thumbs_up.gif

kim62808 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:22am
post #9 of 9

UR Welcome !

True True SHogg I did'nt level mine he,he tha twa a yr ago and I have finally got the hang of things { I think }

So ya level ,level , level or it looks homely LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%