What Would You Guys Think?

Business By KidMcWonder Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 1:46am by bizatchgirl

KidMcWonder Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:59am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I've been on here...I missed all of you!

I had a question and wanted to get some insight - along with working full-time and trying to start up my own baking business, I also wanted a chance to put my degree in film to good use and I started up another side business that is a production company. I work with two of my good friends. The three of us are pretty decent writers, and one of the guys is an exceptional cinematographer and editor. We thought, with our powers combined, we could start shooting commercials for local businesses.

Here's the thing...I used to work for a bakery a couple of years ago, and while working there, we discussed briefly the possibility of me doing some advertising for them (I've had this production company idea for awhile). I've thought recently about contacting this bakery to see if they might be interested in having us do some work for them now that we are able.

The problem would be the fact that I am trying to also start my own bakery one day. Would that be a conflict of interest? How would you guys feel if someone did advertising for you, and then some years later, discovered they had started their own bakery? I just don't want to upset anyone or cause any rifts.

TIA!

3 replies
all4cake Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:15am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMcWonder

Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I've been on here...I missed all of you!

I had a question and wanted to get some insight - along with working full-time and trying to start up my own baking business, I also wanted a chance to put my degree in film to good use and I started up another side business that is a production company. I work with two of my good friends. The three of us are pretty decent writers, and one of the guys is an exceptional cinematographer and editor. We thought, with our powers combined, we could start shooting commercials for local businesses.

Here's the thing...I used to work for a bakery a couple of years ago, and while working there, we discussed briefly the possibility of me doing some advertising for them (I've had this production company idea for awhile). I've thought recently about contacting this bakery to see if they might be interested in having us do some work for them now that we are able.

The problem would be the fact that I am trying to also start my own bakery one day. Would that be a conflict of interest? How would you guys feel if someone did advertising for you, and then some years later, discovered they had started their own bakery? I just don't want to upset anyone or cause any rifts.

TIA!

If, after a few years, I was still using this ad company, I would weigh my pros and cons....Did this company perform(as my ad company, that is) as well as I would've liked. Surely, the assessment would come before that time(probably as soon as ad renewal time came around). If you were performing the job given (as an advertiser), I don't see what rift could come about. Unless, of course, you took information from me to use against me(like is done when candidates face off)..."Unlike our competitor, we do blah blah blah..."

I say do your thing(s)...do it well...don't be malicious when doing it and although all might not be well, you should be able to sleep peacefully.

KidMcWonder Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #3 of 4

Yeah, there is definitely no intention of using whatever material we have against this bakery for my own gain. I figure if I'm good enough, there's no need to badmouth!

And the woman I worked for I greatly respect, and wouldn't do that to her anyway.

Thanks for the answer!

bizatchgirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:46am
post #4 of 4

Sounds like there won't be a conflict now, when you're ready to do the commercials. The conflict would come later, if you're still doing commercials when you are ready to open your shop.

I would not think that far ahead. If you go for it and you get the gig, be happy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%