Can Someone Help Please?? Sorry This May Be Long.

Business By mommicakes Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 4:15pm by mommicakes

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:41am
post #1 of 13

Hello everyone... I am in search of some inspiration, opinions, and just down right help. icon_cry.gif

I will give you some background,

I am planning a grand opening for my new cake studio. My problem is this: I am lost as far as give aways, door prizes, and what ever. I would appreciate any help or photos from anyone who is willing to share.

My plan is to offer sample cupcakes/cakes, along with coffee, punch (from my punch fountains) (maybe even my chocolate fountains I'm not quite sure on that one).

Door prizes still stuck on, thinking about: % off coupons, gift certificates, free cupcakes, free 2 layer round 10". Other than that I still need ideas.

If anyone can help me either post here or if you could PM me I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks everyone, Oh yeah, I'm shooting for an April 4th Opening. icon_rolleyes.gif

donna

12 replies
cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #2 of 13

sorry i can' t think of anything other than the ideas you listed. congratulations and i wish you much success!!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 13

I don't think chocolate fountains are a good idea. If you're giving away a bunch of free stuff, you're going to attract families with small children - and you don't want small children around those babies (you know how parents are nowadays - right?)

I don't think you should give away too much, personally. I'd have them enter their names for a drawing to be held at the end of the month or something... and people can enter over the next couple of weeks. I'd make the giveaway something really great so perhaps people would come back and enter again ("One entry per family, per day"). If you're new, they'll want to try you out anyway - why end up spending money instead of making money? I think the most I would do is free coffee with any purchase.

I would perhaps do some activities for the kids - cupcake decorating, or face painting. That would keep the parents there longer and they may be more inclined to purchase more.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 13

That is spot on about the fountains! I would say instead of punch or chocolate fountains, have the coffee like you wanted, and then maybe some iced tea and lemonade.

This sounds like so much fun. Best of luck to you!!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 13

I think if you're offering free samples of your confections, punch and coffee, that's enough as long as you have a nice variety of items to be sampled. Although...be careful of the punch fountain, too - someone mentioned possibly having kids there and parents who let them run wild. You don't want anyone knocking over your fountain or - God forbid - playing in it! Let the cupcakes, cakes, etc. that you're sampling speak for themselves and the customers will come.

I think sometimes doing too many giveaways and gimmicky things (like the chocolate fountain) looks like you're desperate and you don't want to portray that kind of image. If you really want to do something else, you could hand out coupons like - "buy a dozen cupcakes and get two free" or "Spring Special - 25% off a 10" layer cake" - something like that. And I'd put expiration dates on the coupons or you'll have people coming in two years from now expecting to get the discount. Give them maybe 90 days before they expire.

Let us know how it turns out!

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 13

If you have "basic" flavors and fillings as well as "gourmet" or "specialty" you could have coupons for a free "upgraded" flavor.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 13

I would do mini cup cakes in a spring theme and not give away but one per person(except the parents or adults) so you don't see all that cake walking out the door in their tummies..LOL Love the coupon idea but not free-bees just a 10% or something. So Egg-citing!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 13

You could also offer a wedding cake raffle, up to a certain dollar amount, with the proceeds (all money collected after that dollar amount), going to a favorite neighborhood charity. That way, both you and the charity benefit.

And almost everyone buys a raffle ticket when it benefits a neighborhood charity.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 13

Congratulations and best wishes on your grand opening. I wish you amazing success.

I wouldn't go with the chocolate fountain either. I've seen people at wedding shows who had this and it's a magnet for kids. The kids get greedy, the parents don't usually care, and everything gets messy.

Have you thought about having one nice big prize drawing overall - like a free birthday cupcake arrangement or wedding cake, or something like that? Then a couple of smaller ones daily.

Also mini cupcakes and mini sugar cookies would go over well I think. It would be just enough to give them a taste of the real thing and they might then buys lots of the regular size ones.

Colouring sheets for the kids - cake or cookie related of course! They would make nice inexpensive give-aways. Plus you would have your company name and info on them too!

Little half-page brochures to pass out to the customers with your opening specials, weekly specials, menu, contact info - something for them to take home and think about.

Have fun and all the best to you!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 13

Perhaps you can have them sign up for a "birthday club" and you'll e-mail them reminders of upcoming birthdays or events along with a printable coupon.

This is something I'm going to start doing to remind people to plan ahead and buy a nice cake.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm
post #11 of 13

How about a free cake stands? Here's a link....and wow they come in sets!

http://www.rynnechina.com/p07.html

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

Perhaps you can have them sign up for a "birthday club" and you'll e-mail them reminders of upcoming birthdays or events along with a printable coupon.

This is something I'm going to start doing to remind people to plan ahead and buy a nice cake.

That's a great idea! Have them fill out birthdays/anniversaries/address/email on their door raffle entry....you will already have your base mailing list.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 13

icon_surprised.gif OMG YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST!!!

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I agree now about the fountains. I was just rambling without really thinking. icon_redface.gif

OhMyGanache: I totally love the idea of the "birthday club"!!! icon_biggrin.gif I never would have thought of that one. And the idea of the big end of month drawing. nice.

I am thinking really hard about the coupons!! icon_rolleyes.gif I like the % off idea. I think I am going to use this and the cupcake deal too. THANKS newmansmom2004!!!!

So I will be offering mini cupcakes as samples, coffee, & punch (W/O FOUNTAIN)!!!! icon_wink.gif for refreshments.

Thanks everyone!!! I may be back with more questions, but I promise I won't be a RPITA!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Donna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%