Anyone Work Alot With Almond Bark?

Decorating By abra526 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 2:32am by bizatchgirl

abra526 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:03am
post #1 of 4

So 2 weeks ago, I made my first Chocolate butterflies, and I used chocolate almond bark to outline, and i colored white bark to fill in the wings. They came out fine, I was happy. So I had another smaller cake this past weekend that I wanted to use this same technique, only I had some problems with coloring with white bark. It melted fine, seemed smoothe and creamy...until I added the gel color. It got all grainy and it didn't flow from the icing bag very well. Has anyone else had this happen? Did I do something wrong?

3 replies
abra526 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 4

bump

chilz822 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:14am
post #3 of 4

You have to use special candy colors for any type of chocolate. regular gel colors won't work. You experienced 'seizing' and you can't really recover the chocolate from that. I'm really surprised it worked the first time you tried it. If you need a quick color-fix, look at your local Michael's, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, etc in the Wilton section. They have special candy colorings, they come in small jars just like regular Wilton gels but are specifically for candy.

HTH!

bizatchgirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:32am
post #4 of 4

Yep, PP is right, defniitely the coloring. I did this myself just last week and I was so annoyed. I know better...been molding chocolate for years upon years.

You will also know if you've overheated it, gets the same type of grainy/gritty texture. I think I've heard that parafin can help smooth it back out, but I'm not sure if that applies to the color issue or if that's just for overheating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%