Where Can I Put This Cake??

Decorating By marisanovy Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm by tiggy2

marisanovy Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 10

Sorry guys for my kinda bumb questions, but I need to know from you pros, because I'm still learning.

Someone is asking me to make two sheet cakes, plus a small 3 tiers round cake for the table, for a wedding.

The tiered cakes are not a problem for me.

My question is, what kind and size of board do you guys use to serve the sheet cakes? I am thinking in buying some board and cutting to size.

What do you do in this situation? Please help!

TIA

9 replies
jammjenks Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:06am
post #2 of 10

How big will the sheet cakes be?

pipe-dreams Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:10am
post #3 of 10

Are the sheet cakes going on the table too, or are they going to be kept in the back and served as extra?? If they are going on the table I would fancy them up with fanci foil or something. I mean, even if they aren't going on the table, I wouldn't just shlop them on there icon_biggrin.gif
Sorry I couldn't help much, but at least you'll get a bump so someone else can help! Good luck

kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:45am
post #4 of 10

Definitely match the size of the boards to the size of the pan. Cut it 2" bigger in each direction.
If using 'the usual' cake pans........you can buy sheet boards and boxes that match the pan sizes - like what are called 1/4 sheet (12x8 cake); 1/2 sheet (12x16 cake). If you use other pans then you probably will have to have foam core or light wood cut to fit.

apetricek Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:52am
post #5 of 10

Hi I use foam board that you can get at Acmoore, Michaels, Joannes. It is usually found in the same area as the poster board. I usually double or triple it, depending on how I want the board to look, and also how heavy the cake will be. I have tons of fancy foil in various colors, so I use that to "wrap" the boards...and wah-lah there you go a large enough board and sterdy! I never usually cut it either...hope this helps! Good luck..

marisanovy Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you all!!!

Well I'm assuming that the sheet cakes will not be on the table, but on the back, so I don't need to make them so fancy. I'll make them yummy.icon_smile.gif

I have the 1/4 sheet cake pan. The 9"x13" one. What I don't know is if I need to stack them, or should I make one layer and tort them?

How usually this is made is my problem, because I really don't have much experience professionally. I baked until now just for pure pleasure!! This will (hopefully) be my first paid wedding cake.

Thanks again for all the the help and input, even the little ones!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

jensenscakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 10

Try going to your local grocery store and see if they will sell you what they use. These are usually known as gold boards and are a sturdy board that is gold and has a ruffled edge so it looks a little fancier. They usually run $1-2 a peice. They come in the 1/4 sheet, 1/2 sheet and a full sheet. You might have to trim 1/4 inch off your cake when you use a 9x13 pan with a 1/4 sheet board.

Peridot Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:33am
post #8 of 10

apetricek - can you please tell me where you get your fancy foils and what kind of price you pay for them.

Where I live there is not much to offer. Just gold & silver by Wilton. Wrapping paper at most stores is not even foil. I have started to use gift wrapping paper and then cover it with this food safe plastic cellophane that is used for gift baskets.

Thanks

luvsfreebies72 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #9 of 10

I get my fanci-foil wraps at my local cake decorating stores. If you don't have any near enough to you, I'm sure one of the online suppliers would have them

tiggy2 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 10

Sheets cake for a wedding are usually 2 layers so when cut they look just like the tiered cake and everyone thinks they are all eating the same cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%