Marabou Cake Board Trim

Decorating By cakedesigner59 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 8:24pm by MacsMom

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 21

I've seen so many cute cakes on here trimmed with boa (or feathers) attached to the base board, so I ordered some marabou trim online and it came in the mail today. I'm making a really girly sweet sixteen cake for a customer, with pinks, oranges and a touch of black. I love the look of the trim, but the daggone feathers are shedding everywhere. I'm afraid to attach it to the cake board, for I know half the feathers will end up stuck in the icing (they float off in the air!). How does everyone do it? Did I buy the wrong thing? Maybe that's what I get for buying "bargain" trim. Any suggestions?

20 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #2 of 21

I've never attached it to the board before, but this cake was displayed with the feather boa tucked neatly under the edge of a Wilton plate...you know, the kind with the little feet. Maybe you could try that if you can't get it to work.
LL

cakedesigner59 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 21

Thanks, Jammjenks! That's a gorgeous cake. My marabou is really cheesy and thin, so if I stuck it under the board like that, it would disappear, LOL. Thank goodness I also bought some ribbon to trim the board with, just in case the marabou didn't work out. I'm in eastern NC, in New Bern.

jammjenks Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 21

Well, sounds like a good reason to go to Hobby Lobby to me...

cakedesigner59 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 21

I wish! The closest "hobby" place is Michael's and it's 33 miles away in Jacksonville. Boo hoo Is that where you get your trim (hobby lobby)?

jammjenks Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 21

Actually, the customer supplied it on the cake I attached above, but I have seen it at Hobby Lobby. WalMart may carry it too.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 21

Party City also carries maribou boas. The one nearest me carries them all year long, but the next nearest only carries them during Halloween season. I guess it's a hit or miss.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

amberc75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberc75 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 21

I'm fairly new to the site, and haven't posted any of my pictures for you to reference... but I attach marabou to my cake boards all the time... and any other sort of trim. For example, for my daughter's Valentine party at Pre-K, I found some red shiny trim at Wal-Mart - it had little hearts on it, too.

I have bought all my marabou from Hobby Lobby. It comes in 3 or 4 foot lengths - in all kinds of colors. I just hot glue it around the board. When I cut it, I just shake it out real good and run my fingers through it a couple of times. I've never had any get in the icing. I've had plenty of tiny little feathers on the floor though.... and on the counter... and in my hair! icon_lol.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 21

Try going to Greenville. I know it is kinda far but they may have something. See if they have a costume store.

cakedesigner59 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 21

Thanks, gals! I'll keep looking. I just went online and the nearest hobby lobby is in Fayetteville, and that's HOURS away.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 21

I have a differing opinion. I think that all of us want our products to be as sanitary and hygenic as possible. And for me, feathers of any kind, real or manufactured are not welcome near my food, but especially food that is sold or served to others.

Yes yes yes I understand we use cardboard circles and etc that has been God knows where but for me I don't care where those feathers have been I don't want them near my food.

I mean we freak out if folks don't wash their strawberries, right?
It just makes me wonder if any of those might have been tail feathers?

Just a friendly dissenting opinion.

icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 21

They shed. I can't fathom how any company could manage to attach every tiny feather bit to the string.

I just unwrap mine, shake it out outside and let my daughter run through the fairy wing dust, then attach to the board. I use fondant though.

The full feather boas are less shedd-y, but cost twice as much.

I have seen them everywhere: Target, Wal Mart, JoAnns... Look in craft aisles and kids dress-up aisles

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:34pm
post #13 of 21

[quote="cakedesigner59"]I love the look of the trim, but the daggone feathers are shedding everywhere. I'm afraid to attach it to the cake board, for I know half the feathers will end up stuck in the icing (they float off in the air!). [quote]

I've never done a boa trim but have wondered a thousand times about that very thing...floating feathers. I'm glad you posted that - now I know not to use them.

MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I have a differing opinion. I think that all of us want our products to be as sanitary and hygenic as possible. And for me, feathers of any kind, real or manufactured are not welcome near my food, but especially food that is sold or served to others.

Yes yes yes I understand we use cardboard circles and etc that has been God knows where but for me I don't care where those feathers have been I don't want them near my food.

icon_biggrin.gif

I can totally see where you're coming from. I make sure that there are no floaties on my cakes when they leave the premises--you'd be surprised at how they boost my cake sales, though! I always get requests for them. I shake the living poop out of 'em before attaching. (Honestly, I didn't mean to pun icon_rolleyes.gif ).

cakedesigner59 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 21

[/quote]

I can totally see where you're coming from. I make sure that there are no floaties on my cakes when they leave the premises--you'd be surprised at how they boost my cake sales, though! I always get requests for them. I shake the living poop out of 'em before attaching. (Honestly, I didn't mean to pun icon_rolleyes.gif ).[/quote]

MacsMom: Do you charge extra for the trim? I can see why they would be in high demand, it's so whimsical and cute for a kid's cake.

Terri05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri05 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 21

Can you spray your feather trim with heavey duty hair spray, maybe that will keep the feathers from flying off. I have used hairspray on costumes to keep the neck trim down and out of my face. It worked well.

Hope that helps.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:03pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

icon_biggrin.gif

I can totally see where you're coming from. I make sure that there are no floaties on my cakes when they leave the premises--you'd be surprised at how they boost my cake sales, though! I always get requests for them. I shake the living poop out of 'em before attaching. (Honestly, I didn't mean to pun icon_rolleyes.gif ).

I get yah--no worries.

But I would never anchor that to a cake board.

From the Mayo Clinic:

Quote:
Quote:

Every year, hundreds of thousands of people worldwide get a lung disease called histoplasmosis. It's transmitted through airborne spores that you breathe into your lungs when you work in or around soil that contains a fungus called Histoplasma capsulatum. Farmers, landscapers, construction workers and people who have contact with bird or bat droppings are especially at risk for histoplasmosis.

Wonder if any of that stuff gets on the feathers?

MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:59pm
post #18 of 21

The feathers are bleached white first and then dyed colors, I'm fairly certain the bleaching process has killed everything - if not, then the dying finished them off. (Again, I keep coming across those puns icon_confused.gif )

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:13pm
post #19 of 21

Geez Macsmoms...you just keep "stepping in it" ..... don't ya?? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #20 of 21

I use them all the time and I have never had a problem with floaties. When I cut them I do it away from the cake and then shake them out. THose feathers nver come in contact with the actual cake!

MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:24pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Geez Macsmoms...you just keep "stepping in it" ..... don't ya?? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

LOL!! I'm good for that... icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%