Why Did This Happen?

Decorating By splash2splat Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 7:08pm by leah_s

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 10

I made a cake with buttercream and I put it in the Fridge overnight and when I got it out today about an hour after doing so I had a bubble show up - creating a crack in my icing. It was a size of a quarter. I have never had this happen before. Has anyone else heard of this or do you know how I can prevent it in the future.

Thank you.

9 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:15am
post #2 of 10

My theory is that of expansion and contraction due to temperature changes. When you refrigerate a any cake, the moisture and air contracts due to the cold. When an iced cake defrosts, the warming and expanding moisture and air have no place to go, so it displaces the frosting, causing the bubbles and cracks.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 10

It may just be me, but the only times I've had that happen were when the cake had been previously frozen. Just out of curiousity, had yours been frozen?

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:19am
post #4 of 10

that's called a ''blowout''. it happens when condensation in or on the cake starts to vaporize and the air can't get out. when you take a cake out of the fridge, let it set for at least a half hour. test it by toughing it with your hand to make sure it's not moist or sticky feeling before you ice it. icon_smile.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 10

i used to get those in the past.. not sure why, think i was beating too much air into it (to long on teh mixer or something) but mostly i think it was from the reasons already mentioned by the others. what i used to do to fix this when possible was to poke a tiny hole with a pin then gently smooth out with a warmed knife. sometimes i'd pat it smooth with a cornstarched finger or knife as well. HTH

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:16am
post #6 of 10

I have had that happen 1 time. I used the icer tip that one time. I was being lazy and did not want to put the icing on with a spatula like I usually do so I used the icer tip. Later that evening I saw the retched bubble. I stuck a pin in and smoothed GENTLY to press the air out. I will never use the icer tip again.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:31am
post #7 of 10

Hhhmmm, I have never had this happen to me (with the icer tip or knife) being used. But all the reasons (explainations) sound like great ones! Hope you work this out.

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:28am
post #8 of 10

I use the icer tip all the time and never have a problem with it. I do freeze my cake's but I let them sit for 30 to 45 mins before I frost them.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs1

I use the icer tip all the time and never have a problem with it. I do freeze my cake's but I let them sit for 30 to 45 mins before I frost them.

after i apply the crumbcoat i smooth as best i can and freeze again. then after applying the main icing, i let it come to room temp before i do anything else. this lets the condensation,if any comes, dry and the colors won't bleed after decorating. in the past i used to get the aribubbles from frosting frozen cakes but not anymore- knock on wood.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 10

Splash, why did you put the cake in the fridge originally?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%