How Do I Make..

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm by sweet_teeth

sweet_teeth Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 6

A boombox cake!?

Kinda like this one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3399/3317322203_f184757a64.jpg

It's going to be small... originally they ordered an 8inch cake. What size/shape cakes would I start with to get that shape? I mean i know i could carve out a sheet cake but that seems like an awful waste of cake..

thank you guys icon_smile.gif

5 replies
brincess_b Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 6

id start with rectangle (or circle - i guess it depends on teh final shape you want), stack it up, and carve away. i dont think there would be that much waste cake. or else you could make slightly smaller cakes for top and bottom, andmove to something bigger in the middle, which will be fine if you have lots of similar size pans.
xx

sadsmile Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 6

Not to be totally eighties but...
Dtio on that! LOL
I'd try making a loaf pan cake and torte and stack it up and let the top be larger like most loaf pans are -it will add a tapered dimention to the cake and then carve the sides square or rounded. I would make gumpaste speakers grills and glue them on later to add to the pop-out look. Either by using a couple of upside down correl cereal bowls. And piping a straight basket weave with royal icing. Or by laying strips of fondant/ gum paste and let it dry over the bowls to hold that shape. and make an antennae as most boom boxes had them. Make the boom box have a tape deck and the square buttons under it.

sweet_teeth Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:55am
post #4 of 6

I bought a new pan (ML 9x13.. my gosh it's nice!), and I was thinking I could cut it in 1/2 so that I have two 4.5x13's and make it into more of the typical 80's boom box look.

If I stacked 4 together, as in 3 layers of filling, 4 layers of cake, do you think i'd need to support them in the middle of the first two layers? I normally do 4 layers of cake but never so long and lean.

Your idea about the speakes was SPOT on... I totally forgot about the protruding speakers!

This is going to be so fun (I hope at least!). Thanks for the help guys icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 6

It's sound's like fun! I wanna come help - right now I am avoiding packing up our 4 bedroom house so we can move. I can manage it in a week right so I still have some play time. icon_rolleyes.gif
Might need to adjust the size bowl so the speakers down't take up too much room and squeeze out the tape deck. but then again the speakers were ALWAYS over sized and you could scale in a double tape deck-mine had one right on top of the other for dubbing right in the middles of two very large speaker grills. I still remember listening to Paula Abdule's hits and The Bangels- Walk Like An Egyptian. Yeah i know you are doing it to and you look just as much like a duck as I do..hehehehe

sweet_teeth Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 6

And the final result..

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1333408

Not nearly as much detail as I wanted, but it's cute icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%