Broken Oven - Help With Batter !!!

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm by msulli10

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 10

I have a bit of a dilemma. My oven is broken and I have to bake a cake for Sunday. I can use my sister's oven, but here's my question - can I mix the cake at my house and then bake it at her house? It's about a 20 minute drive. Should I just remix the batter before I pour it into the pans to bake? Do you think this is okay? I really don't want to bring all the ingredients to her house. Thanks.

9 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 10

You can mix batter and put in fridge I've heard. So you should be ok.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 10

I would pre-measure all ingredients at home. Give all the flour, sugar, baking powder etc. in one bag, all the liquids separate (or together) according to your recipe. Mix it at your sisters'.
I would certainly remix the batter and for me, it is twice the work. I would simply mix it there.

Just seen the previous post - you can freeze batter (for cookies sure, for cakes it depends). But I have no idea what travel by car does to it.

msulli10 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the input.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:15am
post #5 of 10

I had the exact same problem but didn't notice til I went to put my cake in the oven...it was cold...I immediately drove to my inlaws......10-15 min at the most and my cake did not bake well at all...it did not rise....I remember someone saying something about once you put the liquids in and mix, it actually starts the process because of the baking powder, etc....I woud just mix everything there...and save the possible headache.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:15am
post #6 of 10

20 minute drive? Shoot...I'd mix that up and put it in a big bowl with a lid, drive it to sis's, pour in the pans and bake away. I've had batter in the pans ready to go in the oven for longer than that. It'll be fine.

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:30am
post #7 of 10

Hi! I had the same problem not too long ago, I mixed my batter just as usual and drove like 30 minutes to my aunt's oven icon_biggrin.gif
I worked fine for me, but if you are going for the safer side, I would take everything measured and mix over there, it true that the baking powder begings to work when it's mixed with liquids.

msulli10 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:33am
post #8 of 10

Hmmm, I'm tempted to mix it and put it in a bowl with a lid and give it a stir before pouring it into the pans. I'll let you all know how it came out. I'm making it tomorrow. I appreciate all your responses.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:55am
post #9 of 10

Most baking powder (in the U.S.) is double-action:

1. BP is activated by liquid when mixed.

2. BP is activated in the oven (heat activated).

What is double action baking powder:

http://busycooks.about.com/library/glossary/bldefbakingpowder.htm

Different types of baking powder & leaveners:

http://www.chefjohnny.com/Tips/holidaybakingtip.html

(Illustrated) Common Brands of Baking Powder:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/BakingPowder.htm

HTH

msulli10 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 10

Okay, so I baked my cakes. I mixed the dry and wet ingredients separately. When I got to my son's house I mixed the 2 together and poured them into the pans. After they were baked, I drove home (about 15 minutes) and then took them out of the pans. They appear to have come out just fine. Of course I won't really know until someone eats it. But at least I have cake....no oven, but cake none the less!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%