Wedding Cake Report

Decorating By Auryn Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 3:40pm by Auryn

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 6

I didn't make the cake.
This is a review of the wedding cake I ate this weekend in case anyone cares.
I attended a wedding this past saturday.
It was the first wedding I've been to since I was 5 and definitely the first wedding I've attended since discovering my cake addiction several years ago.

Needless to say I've been jazzed up about getting to eat wedding cake since we got the invite in January.

The cake itself was pretty.
3 tiers.
There were about maybe 60 people max including the bridal party, guests et al. I would say the top layer was a 6" , all the layers were 4" tall about.

It was chocolate cake, covered in buttercream (the buttercream was about 1" thick at least) with a few fondant accents.
It was a uber casual beach wedding and the cake def fit the 'non traditional' theme they were going for.

Now here is the important part, the cake was super disappointing.
It was very ordinary chocolate cake, kinda dry and nothing in particular.
I would easily say it was grocery store cake.
The filling in between the two layers of chocolate cake I kid you not was as thin as a sheet of paper.

The buttercream was pretty good, I think it was IMBC because it didnt leave a greasy feeling in my mouth and it barely crusted, it was very soft, and the fondant was actually good.

Thankfully they also served carvel ice cream cake- I had 3 pieces of that to make up for the main cake.

I still hold out hope to one day getting to eat wedding cake as good as the ones you ladies here make.

I will post pictures when I get home.

The wedding itself was beautiful, and I had a blast at the reception.

5 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 6

I'd like to see the pictures. Weddings can be such fun but unfortunately the cake can be a crap shoot.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 6

I went to a wedding and they had their cake made from this famous bakery and it probably cost them a pretty penny. It was fondant and just a sponge cake with no filling and barely an icing between the cake and the fondant.

the worse thing was, somebody stupid decided to stick roses into the cake. It wasn't the bakery, it was somebody from the family. They stuck rose stems into the cake all over the top and bottom. no rhyme or reason. it looked like weeds grew out of the cake. We made sure we didn't eat that part. I bet those roses weren't even organic.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 6

I went to a friend's wedding right as I was getting into decorating. I couldn't wait for the reception to see the cake! Well, as soon as I saw it I was shocked. It was sooo ugly! First of all the bride's colors were baby pink and mint green....that's a whole other story...and it was a square cake that looked like someone iced it blind folded in the mint green, with random shaky scrolls all over it in the baby pink, using what looked like a star tip 21. But it was so delicious! That was three years ago and I still crave that cake. They even let me take some home lol! Too bad it wasn't prettier.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 6

I know we all look for opportunities to critique cakes but bear in mind.....
It could have been made *lovingly* by a relative or close friend. Maybe great-grandma (about 90 yr old). Don't dismiss looks all the time. If the family is happy, you be happy with/for them icon_smile.gif

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry I havent posted the pics
cant find the camera.

I am totally not dissing the look of the cake.
It was rather pretty and well iced and went very well with the theme.

I was disappointed by the taste of the cake itself.
And I don't think I was being a cake snob because it looked like about 80% of the people took a taste of it and left the cake and just had ice cream cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%