Scrapbook Bridal Shower Cake

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 3:51pm by fruitsnack

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 7

I've been asked to make a bridal shower cake for a woman from my church. They want it to look like a scrapbook, since she loves to scrapbook.

My idea so far is to make a book shaped cake, and then make fondant plaques for the "pictures" with a fondant frame. I'm going to have the bride and groom's names on the bottom edge. I'm running out of ideas, though, for what to have on the pictures. I thought about having a ring, the flowers, the dress, and then maybe hearts for love?

A few questions -

- It's supposed to be for about 30 people. Will the 2-mix Wilton book pan be big enough? I also thought about baking the cakes in a 15x10 pan and using several layers, so I could fill them without torting - which would be easier?

- Do you think I should leave the background white or color it to match their colors? They're using purple and dark blue with silver accents - I thought that would be a lot of food coloring if I used it for the background. If I don't, though, I'm afraid it will just look like a lot of white blank space.

- Any other ideas of wedding stuff I could make for the "pictures"?

Thanks for your help!

6 replies
kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 7

By any chance can you get your hands on actual pictures? You could then do scrapbook pages icon_confused.gif Using the wedding colors as accents, like ribbon, buttons, tags, etc...

HTH

fruitsnack Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 7

I'd rather not do edible images - I don't have access to a printer and don't know if I could get one at any of the local stores - I live in the sticks.

Any other ideas?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 7

id recommend a look at the qvc pages for scrapbook stuff - maybe give you some ideas.
i think maybe a pastel kind of background (unless you are feeling adventurous and can co-ordinate a big background and still make things pop - i cant!) and strong accents - some ribbons, brads, buttons, photo frames.
as for what to put in pictures - depends on the size, could you do a fbct or royal icing runout, or chocolate? a look-a-like style of the couple! maybe simple pics of things that are important to them - a holiday location, animal, park, whatever.
sounds like it could be very cool!
xx

fruitsnack Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 7

Can anyone help me with this?

- It's supposed to be for about 30 people. Will the 2-mix Wilton book pan be big enough? I also thought about baking the cakes in a 15x10 pan and using several layers, so I could fill them without torting - which would be easier?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 7

i havent used the pan, but the sounds of the mix suggests it would feed enough people for you. http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/ thats a link to some wilton serving charts, they might help.
i think making more layers would be easier that torting when its quite a big shape, as long as you are happy doing a bit of carving to get it looking book like.
i hope someone who has used the pan can help you more!
xx

fruitsnack Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 7

Anyone else?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%