What's The 'for Dummies' Way To Monogram A Cookie?

Baking By chilz822 Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 3:08pm by chilz822

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 58

All,
I need to make cookies similar to this pic. I don't think I am steady enough to just pipe the monogram freehand.

Any ides, tips, tricks?
LL

57 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 58

1. Alpha fondant cutters and MMF would be one way to go.
2. Find a font you like, and create a stencil. Use RI to stencil the monogram.
3. Find a font you like, then get edible images printed and apply to top of cooke.

That's all I got...

chilz822 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 58

Those are great options, I'm leaning toward the stencil idea...
I'm wondering if there's an easy no-fail way to transfer the initial to the cookie as an outline so I can pipe over it (for a raised effect)...

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 58

If you can justify the $$, a projector is definitely the way to go!

chilz822 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 58

I am interested in the projector also, was thinking about that for cakes... can you give me some ideas as to what to look for and the best place to find one?

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 58

Stamp the letters on after the icing has dried, then pipe over it with royal.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 58

I'd go with the Kopykake Projector. I dont actually have one yet... That's my next big purchase icon_smile.gif You definitely dont want to go with one of the cheaper models that require little to no light (shadows are a b****!). The Kopykake is designed for caking so it's already set up to shine straight down onto your cakes/ cookies.

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 58

i use an image transfer method that I learned in the wilton classes. But I haven't used it on cookies before. It just calls for outling the image using piping gel. The picture I want to trace is under a piece of wax paper, trace and then gently press onto the cake. The piping gel leaves the lines and then I trace.

chilz822 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 58

Oh wow! Great suggestions, thank you ALL sooo much!!!

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #10 of 58

These are all great ideas to keep on hand for future reference ~ thanks!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 58

Here is how I do things like this - flood your base coat, let fully dry, print up or draw out your monogram, cover it with wax paper, trace it with a fine tip edible marker (I like Foodoodlers). Once dry, place on top of the cookie and use a handy-dandy turkey skewer (or a seam ripper) to trace over the design. This will leave a faint mark that you can then pipe over. If you have any areas where the mark shows, you can lightly go over them with a very slightly damp paintbrush and they will disappear. You may go through a couple of piece of the wax paper, but this works like a charm for me! Hope it helps!

chilz822 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 58

Tracy, are you doing that in reverse so you're tracing on the backside (face-down) of the black marker and leaving a faint black line on the cookie or right-side up and using the black as the guide and leaving a scored line on the cookie?

TracyLH Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:09pm
post #13 of 58

The marker line is on the top. It is the line created by the skewer that is what I follow. icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 58

thanks for sharing your technique, TracyLH - what a great idea!! I can't wait to try that, as my writing is awful!!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

thanks for sharing your technique, TracyLH - what a great idea!! I can't wait to try that, as my writing is awful!!

I second that! Thanx Tracy! Cant wait to give them a try now that Im finally getting the hang of straighter (out)lines!

TracyLH Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #16 of 58

Glad to share! I came up with the idea when I was doing my Chamber of Commerce cookies and the lettering had to be very precise. Hope it works out well for you! icon_smile.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:23pm
post #17 of 58

I can't compete with Tracy icon_razz.gif ... so I take the easy way out and use these.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=1001&aff=9X6GECBOFPB9

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:42pm
post #18 of 58

hi!
my writing is terrible! i use the tappit fondant/gumpaste cutters. i attached a photo of the "funky" alphabet that i used to make valentine's day cookies (and then i used luster dust to make the fondant shiny which the kids always love). these really work nicely and come in several styles/sizes.
diane
LL

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

... i use the tappit fondant/gumpaste cutters. ... these really work nicely and come in several styles/sizes.
diane

Beautiful cookies.

About using those cutters. How thin do you roll the F/GP? Where do you buy your cutters?

TracyLH Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:41am
post #20 of 58

Okay, you two! Much better ideas than my hard way of doing it! icon_lol.gif

Honeydukes - Thanks so much for posting all of that! Those look like a great idea!! (and a time saver too! icon_biggrin.gif ) You are always such a wealth of information and great ideas! I consider you to be the Cookier Encyclopedia of Great Ideas. icon_lol.gif

Drakegore - LOVE those cookies! I have the same questions Honeydukes has! Thanks for your help and for sharing your wonderful idea!

(edited because I was up too late cookie-ing and typed too fast. icon_lol.gif Need to learn to use that Preview button!)

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:46am
post #21 of 58

Tracy! Good Morning icon_smile.gif All these ways are just adding to our "getting" better! I think one can NEVER learn too much!! Then just do what works best for us!! Even as "old" as I am!! icon_smile.gif

drakegore Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:33pm
post #22 of 58

hello!

thank you!

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=1001&aff=9X6GECBOFPB9

there is a wonderful tutorial by tonedna1 on youtube for using these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfuxL2PqoVA&feature=channel_page

i also have found that in addition to putting a film of crisco on the board, using a very soft food only paintbrush to put a micro dusting of cornstarch in the cutters, helps the release and the letter to maintain its shape. letting them sit for 10-15 minutes or so before applying them is also very useful in helping maintain their shape.

when you get the cutters the enclosed instructions say to roll as thin as for flowers. i did this and the internal detail impressions of the cutters didn't reach the fondant. i ended up at about 1/16" to get really nice looking letters. only the "funky" set has the impressions. the script (which is half the size of the funky letters) has clean lines and you can go as thin as you like.

diane

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:46pm
post #23 of 58

WOW. Y'all are awesome. Just happens that I ordered the funky cutters yesterday !! Yeah.

Again, Thanks so much.

TracyLH Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:20pm
post #24 of 58

And good morning to you too, Gaye! icon_smile.gif

Drakegore - You are wonderful! icon_biggrin.gif You have given such great instructions which is so appreciated as I have never worked with fondant before. One last question, is there a fondant recipe you like or do you purchase yours? I find myself plowing through so much in supplies trying to get things 'right' and if you have a suggestion (as it obviously works so incredible well for you!), that would be most appreciated!

chilz822 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm
post #25 of 58

Tracy,
If I can return the favor of all the help you have given me, I would suggest making Michele Foster's Fondant (recipe on this site). When I started fondant, I used the marshmallow recipe, which is ok, (it's messy to make and can be unpredictable) but since I tried Michele's, I don't think I'll ever go back.
The taste is far superior and it's so much easier to work with! I added a little white chocolate to the last batch I made and the taste is wonderful! For some reason also, it seems to come out a 'whiter white' than the marshmallow version.
Love it.

chilz822 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:10pm
post #26 of 58

Honeydukes,
How thick do you make your icing for stenciling?
(I'm seeing an easy way out here for my monogram fear!!)
icon_biggrin.gif

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:30pm
post #27 of 58

Global Sugar Art carries a full line of Designer Stencils, and the Funky alphabet cutters:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17424

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=22912

Also here is a step by step video on stenciling onto cookies
http://www.cakecentral.com/article180.html

You can also use the technique of royal icing on a cookie by following this step by step video
http://www.cakecentral.com/article178.html

drakegore Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:28pm
post #28 of 58

hi tracylh,

thank you! i am a little nuts about making cookies (and now cakes too). icon_smile.gif

i know what you mean about supplies, lol. i am not much of a fondant person, so i don't have much experience in that area. i just use small bits for accents on my cookies when needed so i just use the wilton pre-made stuff (kinda yucky) and add a bit of extract to give it some flavor. if i can, i use chocolate modelling clay over fondant.

i need to learn more about fondant icon_smile.gif.

diane

TracyLH Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:10pm
post #29 of 58

Chilz822 - Thanks for the recipe and white chocolate idea! I would like to try this with the letters and my daughter is determined to start making figures for cupcakes out of fondant, so I needed a recipe ! icon_smile.gif

Drakegore - Cool! We always love someone else as nuts about cookies as we are! icon_lol.gif Welcome to our little world! Thanks for the idea about adding flavoring to fondant. I am actually in search of a chocolate modelling clay recipe to make horses for my niece, so that working with that will be a first for me.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:05pm
post #30 of 58

Oh I agree 100% about Michele Fosters fondant. The marshmallow one is a PIA. icon_smile.gif If you have a KA mixer, you'll love Micheles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%