I Need Recommendations For Pastry/cake Decorating School!

Decorating By Ruth0209 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 12:18am by Brownie1954

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 6

I have the chance to go to school and have it paid for under the Trade Assistance Act, but I have to submit a proposal of what I'd like to do. I don't want to go to culinary school, and I'm not even sure I want to go through a whole pastry school program, not to mention that these programs are insanely expensive and I doubt my Dept. of Labor will approve a $10,000 program.

I've seen some shorter intensive programs that specifically address how to run a cake decorating business. One is Petal Crafts "The Business of Cake Decorating"
http://www.petalcrafts.com/professional-cake-decorating-class.html

I'm very excited about the prospect of this schooling but I want to make sure I spend the money wisely and effectively. If anyone knows about these types of programs, I'd love to hear your feedback on them. Thanks!

5 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 6

My first question is, would the program pay for this type of class, or does the class have to be taken through an accredited institution?

And I wish my pastry program only cost $10k lol

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 6

[quote="PinkZiab"]My first question is, would the program pay for this type of class, or does the class have to be taken through an accredited institution?

And I wish my pastry program only cost $10k lol[/quote

I wish mine did also

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 6

I don't know if the TAA will pay for it. I have to submit a proposal with justifications for the program I want to use and how it's going to make me employable (or profitable in my business).

The $10k programs I've seen are 16 week courses that give you a certificate when you complete them. I KNOW they won't cover the complete two year $25k degree programs! I just want to be sure I'll know something more than I know now when I'm finished with whatever I do, and that it'll be useful to me for building my business.

Thanks for your responses!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 6

It depends on your goals. If you plan to work in a restaurant or hotel. Then I say got to pastry school. If you are interested in just cake decorating then I would focus on that probably the 16 weeks courses would be good.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:18am
post #6 of 6

Hi....The Notter School of Pastry Arts in Orlando offers a full six month pastry program, or they offer individual classes from pulled and blown sugar, chocolates, cakes, and more. Check out their web site, and see if this may be the right place for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%