What Would You Charge?

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 11 May 2009 , 3:02pm by Kerry_Kake

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 42

Just curious on what everyone else would charge for a cake like this. I know everyone lives in different areas and charges differently according to the population and wealth of their community. But what would you charge? It is a 9" and 7" tier topsy turvy.

PS. This is my first TT cake. What do you think?
LL

41 replies
kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 42

Great cake! I would charge $85 here.

Kerry_Kake Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:30am
post #3 of 42

Thanks kmoores!

This is just for fun people! Come on, let's see what different people charge.
It's kind of interesting icon_biggrin.gif

I might tell you what I charged if I get enough people to tell me what they would charge icon_wink.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 42

$140 give or take!

Kerry_Kake Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 42

Wow, 69 views and only 2 people posted what they would approximately charge?!
You must have an idea on what you would charge!
I know the cake isn't perfect but still...

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 42

Very cute! I'd probably charge about $125

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 42

Your cake looks so cute. I loved the topper!

I would charge $100 to $150, depending on my mood. Just kidding!

It's a lot of work there... $150 for sure!

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 42

Let's see, a whole bucket of fondant, fondant flowers, balls, numbers and ditzy balls on top with wiring, three layers each of cake carved to make the TT pattern, buttercream for molding the fondants, perhaps a filling, several extra boards for center doweling and supports....hmmm.....

$150.
Oh, and your cake is great! icon_smile.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 42

At least $125

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 42

$120.00 to $150.00...icon_smile.gif

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 42

I AM WITH THE OTHERS ABOUT $120 BUT WOULD ALSO DEPEND ON CAKE AND FILLING, SINCE THAT CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. GREAT CAKE...

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:35pm
post #12 of 42

I would charge 140.00. The cake is really nice. icon_biggrin.gif

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

LOL!! icon_lol.gif
I would have to say about $100.

candynumber1 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

LOL!! icon_lol.gif
I would have to say about $100.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:51pm
post #15 of 42

Well, since it is a TT (which I haven't made yet, so this is just a guess) and it's covered in fondant.... probably around $80

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:51pm
post #16 of 42

I think about $100

**Edited to say: BTW - really CUTE cake!!!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 42

Ok, I must be way out of the ball park. I just quoted someone $200 for a 10"/8" TT cake and if they want the third layer, $250! The cake she wants I know serves 100 people and will probably be alot of work. I have attached the pic of what she wants, which she found on Google.... am I wrong to ask for this much?

BTW - fantastic first TT cake!

deb
LL

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #18 of 42

That's beautful. It would be a little hight here but 1: it's covered in fondant 2: lot's of time consuming flowers 3:dragees (on the bottom layer) 4: it feeds 100 so no that's not that bad.

karizkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karizkakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:02pm
post #19 of 42

I'm very inexperienced so I guess around $100.

candynumber1 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #20 of 42

[quote="MomLittr"]Ok, I must be way out of the ball park. I just quoted someone $200 for a 10"/8" TT cake and if they want the third layer, $250! The cake she wants I know serves 100 people and will probably be alot of work. I have attached the pic of what she wants, which she found on Google.... am I wrong to ask for this much?

deb[/qu
With a third layer and all those flowers, I think your quote was about right.
ie.... not to take over the topic in all icon_smile.gif

cakediva01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva01 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm
post #21 of 42

Really cute. I wouldn't charge any less than $125. That's a lot of work!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:34pm
post #22 of 42

I would say also $125- 150 for Kerry Kake
The other cake 250 easily.

MicahS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicahS Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:42pm
post #23 of 42

Wow.

Not an easy question to answer.

So much depends on the actual ingredients. . . .

I mean let's say you do a cheese cake base, torted with fresh raspberries and whipped white chocolate ganache for the frosting. That would significantly up the price.

And then there's the time involved. . . .

If it's my first time for something the price should be a bit higher because it will take more time. The more practiced I get at a certain style the faster (hopefully) I can pull it off. So a little extra for the first time nerves is not out of line.
Both of the cakes have fondant decorations the undoubtably took time. The second cake looks like a lot of detail and fine work that just yells out "time-consuming".

And to be frankly honest - if I'm going to take the time to make a visual work of art like that it really seems a shame to make it with cheap ingredients. I've done my last "We want you to use store-bought cake mix and frosting from a can. . . . because we figure we can save a whole $13 that way!" Sorry folks, but I want it to taste as good as it looks.

Oh and then there's the "do I want to do this cake" factor. . . .

Yes, it exists. Let's face it many of us are addicted hobbyists just waiting for the next chance to broaden our skills and have an excuse to buy more pans, tips, etc.etc. And if the person asking is a friend, family, or someone we want to impress - well that makes even easier to give them the deal of the century. Heck how many of us still do cakes for free.

And of course there are those that ask who are bad mannered, looking for an impossible price and product, mean-spirited, and have every red flag and siren possible going off in my head. I just hope hope hope one of them never decides to take me up on that atrociously overexaggerated price tag that I quoted just because I don't want to do the cake.

All in all I'd probably go around $170 for the first cake and $500 for the but then again I've kind of decided no more wedding cakes except for the folks who are close enough that I can give it as their wedding gift. That makes it easy to have "inflated" prices. But still $5 a serving is not out of line - especially for sculpted cake with the detail that is involved in either one of those.

Kerry_Kake Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:33am
post #24 of 42

Thanks for your responses. Of course I am WAY underpriced but I only live in a 1300 populated village, lol. I only charged them $60 plus they gave me a $10 tip. Not too far off from the NL girl.
Nothing fancy about this cake, it is only Vanilla cake filled with buttercream. Not that much time into it really. Surprising it was really easy to do. I got the tutorial to carve TT on YouTube by janellscakes.
Now that you got your laugh on what I actually charged, I can now actually tell my customers what everyone else would charge for a cake like this.
To MomLittr, your cake is beautiful and you should charge $250 for that cake. There is a lot of time into the detail and the flowers. I would probably charge $150. But my prices are partly because I am a newbie. Who wants to pay high end prices on someone who isn't perfect?!?

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:54am
post #25 of 42

Thanks Kerry and everyone (sorry to partially take over the post), still have not heard from this potential customer. Truthfully hope she does shop this cake around and sees my price is pretty good!

Deb

2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:08am
post #26 of 42

I would expect to pay at least $125- $150. You did a great job!!! icon_smile.gif

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:29am
post #27 of 42

I couldn't even tell you're a newbie. There's no such thing as perfect anyway, but you did an awesome job. Don't worry about charging based on how long you've been doing it. Do it based on how your product looks. If I didn't do cakes myself, I would expect to pay about $200 in my area for a cake like that. I do live in a big city, but not a wealthy area at all.

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:40am
post #28 of 42

1st cake in question, Id say $100 here. I still go off per serving but Id get it close to that with a per serving price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

Ok, I must be way out of the ball park. I just quoted someone $200 for a 10"/8" TT cake and if they want the third layer, $250! The cake she wants I know serves 100 people and will probably be alot of work. I have attached the pic of what she wants, which she found on Google.... am I wrong to ask for this much?

deb

I think your spot on, and Im live in a middle class town/ area and think the carvings of a TT and all those flowers... def on track with pricing.

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #29 of 42

Not sure of the servings, but I call a TT a carved cake (I have yet to have an order for one). My carved cakes start at $4 a serving....

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #30 of 42

I would charge $150 canadian....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%