A Perfectly Level, Almost-Crumb-Free, Sturdy Yet Moist Cake

Decorating By babeebk Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 3:51pm by FairyPoppins

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 5

Is this possible? I'm determined to bake an almost perfectly-leveled, relatively-crumb free, sturdy yet still moist cake. But where do I start?

Do you use a heating core? oven strips? is it all about the cake pan that you use? The recipe? Help!

4 replies
izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 5

my favorite recipe is a classic white cake mix - add 1/3 cup sprite zero, 1/3 cup oil, 1 cup sour cream and 4 egg whites. lower your oven to 325 and bake with bake even strips. it really produces a moist, level cake that is truly delicious

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 5

Sounds like a great recipe Izzy. I would have to use regular Sprite of course (not Sprite Zero) because I get intense migraines from any artificial sweeteners. I guess that would be a word of caution if making the cake for others.

My daughter taught me the trick about lowering the oven temp and it does work great! I sometimes combine that with using a flower nail in the center.... or a few of them if it's a sheetcake.

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 5

hmmm...a flower nail. Never heard of doing that. Does it essentially function like a heating core??? If so, that's a great idea!

keep the tips coming ladies...I'm taking notes. Thanks!

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 5

Since getting the tip from another cc member I always use an upside down flower nail sprayed with Pam in the center of my pans. It really helps prevent the dome. I find baking strips to be a pain. Some people love them though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%