80's Themed Cake!

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm by sweet_teeth

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 12

Get your thinking caps on icon_wink.gif I have a request for an 80's themed cake and only 2 days to get it done. I know there are so many possibilities but I'm checking here to see if any of you have any amazing ideas. Remember my skill level before you all recommend anything too advanced icon_smile.gif, lol.

Here is what the guy e-mailed me:

"I'd like your artistic ambitions to go nuts with color and design.....
Something splashy, silly and reminiscent of the punky 1980s maybe.."

How awesome does that sound?!?!?!

It is only going to be an 8inch cake.. so I can't do a tiered cake (which would be SO much more fun!)

Thanks for the help!!

11 replies
LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 12

maybe some neon colors, Pac Man, Atari, a rubix cube. Good luck with such a short dead line. You must come back and post a picture!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 12

Ok- when I think "punk" 80's I think Big Hair and Leather jackets, silly sunglasses and bandanas.

I have no idea how you could incorporate that into cake! I just thought I would throw out what comes to mind!

Good luck!

sweet_teeth Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 12

I have so many ideas flowing through my head and just don't know how to make it into a cute cake. I'd love to do a pacman or rubix cube cake but I don't have the size square pans that I need for the 8inch and I don't have time to go buy them.

I'm DEF going to tie-dye the batter since they want a white cake.. but that's the only set design so far. I'm going to put a lot more effort than he's paying for into it because it's so much fun.

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 12

I have one in my photos, I think is the last one I uploaded. It was a 9", I think it'll be great for your client.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 12

Here's a link to a thread from a few weeks ago. It had a lot of interesting ideas
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=619447&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 12

you could base it on an iconic '80's movie:

Valley Girl
The Breakfast Club
Pretty In Pink
16 Candles

what I remember from the '80's are big hair, day-glo colors, jelly shoes and bracelets, Madonna,

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 12

I also think of bright color blocks and cyndi lauper. Big bangles and beads. Rubiks cube you could just do in fondant cut outs?
Let us know what you do.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 12

Neon colors and those black sunglasses Tom Cruise wore!

sweet_teeth Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much for all your ideas ladies! I think i'm going to do a boombox cake.. as long as all goes well. I'm a bit nervous but we'll see!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #11 of 12

I also think of bright color blocks and cyndi lauper. Big bangles and beads. Rubiks cube you could just do in fondant cut outs?
Let us know what you do.

sweet_teeth Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #12 of 12

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1333408

I'm happy with it. I wanted it to have more detail.. but if you knew what I quoted him he got more than he bargained for! I think I spent more on the supplies actually :/

The thing i'm most proud of is that I have no bulges! It's a first for me icon_smile.gif I let the cake settle w/a book on top and boy did that help. I also put a thicker layer of buttercream under the fondant than I usually do.

Hope you like it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%