How To Measure Gel Colors?

Decorating By Cakes_By_Bright Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 2:06pm by majka_ze

Cakes_By_Bright Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 3

I was looking for a certain shade of green and I found it. It looked great!! Then my BF asks me, "how can you get that same shade again?"

I smiled cause I have no clue.

I just added coloring little by little until i got it. It was only AFTER he asked that I realized you can't really measure gel coloring, can you? I mean, I know I used less than 1/2 tsp and I think 1/2 tsp gel color is a LOT of coloring for frosting. When I looked at my supplies I have those Wilton gel colors and some Spectrum colors the lady at the bakeshop sold me. I THOUGHT they could be measured by drops but when I really checked them they're also gel so every drop comes out a little uneven...EVEN after serious shaking.

His mom...yes he said his mom (again)...apparently uses McCormick regular liquid food coloring for her frosting. I guess I don't know how I feel about that. Especially since it's almost 6 bucks for 4 colors and the bottle are extremely small. I know a lot of you use Americolor but I haven't seen those round my way and I kinda need it to be available nearby (not online) just in case I ran out or something. Any suggestions?

2 replies
crisseyann Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 3

Americolor is a gel also so that wouldn't be much help to you anyway. Short of squirting it into a spoon to measure, I don't know how you would do it.. Good luck in your search.

majka_ze Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 3

For measuring small amounts of liquids (and gel colors) the most precise way is a pipette (chemical dropper) or eyedropper.
You still need to measure your icing (by weight is more precise then cups) and either count drops (eyedropper) or measure with pipette.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%