Black...

Baking By lkoenig07 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 8:42am by Honeydukes

lkoenig07 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 7

I have to do cookies for the favors for my friend's bridal shower Saturday. Her colors are champagne & black. I've been trying to figure out how to do this & I can't come up with a good idea as to how to incorporate both colors into the cookies. Anyone????

I'm doing royal icing & was thinking I could spray paint the square part of the icing black, then do a white monogram & scalloped edge & paint over that in gold luster dust. I was just thinking that may be too much black though?

6 replies
cookiemookie Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 7

If it were me, I would keep the black to a minimum. They will all have black teeth.(unless they don't eat them)

How about just doing the monogram in black?

Maybe you could just incorporate the black in the packaging of them?

lkoenig07 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 7

Ok, that's true. How could I do the monogram in black? It's so hard to get royal icing black without it tasting bad.

majka_ze Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 7

You can get "almost black" RI when you switch part of sugar with cocoa powder - dutch processed is best because it is darker.

The rest I would then color with food coloring. On my cake http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1327793 the lettering and outlining is RI colored only with cocoa. It could get even darker this way.

The secret is not to start with white :;

ddaigle Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 7

How about using fondant for the black part of the design??

Tweedie Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 7

I just had to make black RI for my niece's wedding cake and ended up with gray no matter how much black coloring I put in. So I added a couple of spoons of dark cocoa and some more water to thin it back out, mixed it up and BAM! I had perfectly black icing. There is a pic of it in my photos...the cake with the scrolls. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%