Eating Royal Icing

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 4:40am by TonyaBakes

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 6

A member graciously sent me directions on how to make Elmo out of RKT and then cover it in royal icing. This is for a toddler and his birthday party. If the children want to eat Elmo will the RI be edible? I know you can eat it, but will it be too hard (crunchy) to eat?

5 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 6

I suppose it depends on the toddler? does he/she have teeth? lol silly question i know! i fidn with kids, if its sweet, they will eat it icon_smile.gif i dont think it should cause them a problem, if its too hard for them, they might just leave it, but it wouldnt do them no harm

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 6

They can eat it. Should they? This is another question.
Generally, you can soften RI by adding 1 teaspoon of glycerin to cca 1 lb of RI.

For my niece I made cakes for her 2nd and 3rd birthday with cream cheese frosting. And till now (she is 4 1/2) she gets few gingerbread cookies decorated with RI and the rest are plain ones.

I would say the mother decides...

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 6

It's edible, but I agree with majka_ze and let the mommies decide. Too much sugar overload icon_smile.gif

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:06am
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for your responses. The toddler is my nephew (mother is my sister-in-law). Don't want to do anything to cause an upset. icon_wink.gif

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:40am
post #6 of 6

I'm with everyone else I would leave that to the mother to decide. I can say that when my son was 2-3 he would sneak and "steal" my RI flowers all the time. I would always be sure that I had made more flowers to work with, thought I was losing it- then I caught him with his step stool that he used to brush his teeth, very quietly helping himself to RI daisies that were drying on my bakers rack! Had to find a higher up drying spot. Precious memories, LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%