Need To Make Gold Coins - How To Make Gold?

Decorating By Lovelymeets Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 2:29pm by xinue

Lovelymeets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelymeets Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:28am
post #1 of 5

Hi

I bake and decorate cakes as a hobby for friends and family. We have a St. Patricks Pot luck at work this friday and i am planning to make a small mango cake with MMF. I am thinking of making a pot of gold as a cake topper. But how do I make the gold color? i have seen it in so many cakes, I dont have a air brush.

So friends please help. Appreciate all your responses.

Thanks

4 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:57am
post #2 of 5

I use gold luster dust. You can thin it out with lemon extract or vodka and paint it on. You can order it online from many places. If you don't have time to order it, you could use the gold coin candy to put in the pot. You can buy those at any candy shop.

You can get the dusts from Global Sugar Art...here is the link.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19512

The gold highlighter dust is the one you want to order to get a real gold look.

Hope this helps you.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 5

Yep, luster dust. Wilton calls it "Pearl Dust." You can pick it up at Michael's or JoAnns. Just mix it with a bit of vodka or any clear extract (almond/lemon).

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 9:39am
post #4 of 5

Hope you found something that works for you icon_smile.gif i too use luster dusts and 'petal powders' and mix them with vodka to make a paint icon_smile.gif i find doing it this way rather than just dusting it on, gives a much stronger vibrant colour icon_smile.gif

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 5

Hi! luster dust it is. I used to mix iy with vodka but then I learned that it looks better if you mix it with lemon extract because of its oil content. makes it look shinier

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%