Shelf-Stable Strawberry Filling -- Help!!

Decorating By tomatoqeen Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm by tomatoqeen

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:27am
post #1 of 6

Hi! I am making a cake for a Sat. party, but my friend will be picking up on Friday. Hence, no refrigeration. Most of the fillings I do require refrigeration. I was going to do a bettercreme filling, but the client doesn't want a mousse or creamy filling...they just want like a jam filling (and I dislike sleeved fillings). I am at a loss...would just a strawberry, sugar, and cornstarch filling be fine? Thanks for your help!!

5 replies
luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:41am
post #2 of 6

When I do a strawberry filling, I've just crumb-coated, done strawberry jam and sliced strawberries on top of that. I've left out decorated for a couple of days with no issues...

tomatoqeen Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your help!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 6

I dont like working with cream cheese icing, but if thats what the customer wants i will. Get a good quality strawberry jam and use it, its what they are expecting. I always put a thin layer of buttercream down first then the jam type fillings.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 6

Yep, jam. icon_smile.gif

Smucker's even says on their website that while their jams don't require refrigeration, they put it on their label because it helps the product last longer.

tomatoqeen Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all your help! Any recommendations for "good" jam -- we just use Smucker's strawberry from Costco. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%