Covering Cake Boards

Decorating By jenniferchristman78 Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 4:52am by sweet1122

jenniferchristman78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferchristman78 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:31am
post #1 of 6

Can you guys tell me what you use to cover your cakeboards? I am planning to make a batman cake and a tinkerbell cake and was wondering how wrapping paper would work?

5 replies
phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:39am
post #2 of 6

I have used wrapping paper many times, I put clear contact plastic over it . HTH

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:42am
post #3 of 6

I wouldn't use regular wrapping paper,it tears when it gets the least bit moist.I use the fancy foil from wilton,you can get it at wm or order it online.You could also use aluminum foil or freezer paper.All of these you will need to tape underneath to your board. icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:46am
post #4 of 6

I use wrapping paper and then cover that with food-safe cello (from Michael's). If you cut the paper and cello the same size you can attach it to the board in one step.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:46am
post #5 of 6

There are several ways in which you could accomplish this. If you are using just the one board or how many you are using it to support the cake, you could use the wrapping paper but I would cover it with clear contact paper. That way nothing will get absorbed into it. In the same manner if you are using it as a stand??? the board that you iced the cake on set it on top of the wrapped board but make it at least 2 inches larger than the size of the iced cake. Also make it thicker than just a single board thickness. I like the look of that. I hope this makes sense.

Personally you can be really creative in it, but the thing of course to keep in mind is food safety.

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:52am
post #6 of 6

I recently read another thread on this. Someone posted about contact paper not being food safe. Its debatable, but something to keep in mind. I'm not willing to take any chances, so anything questionable is out for me.

I read about wrapping paper and someone suggested covering with press and seal or plastic wrap. I've tried the press and seal and that worked fine. I tend to prefer the fanci foil wilton sells or the sheets I get at my local bakery for now though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%