Pricing For Figurines

Decorating By Ladyfish74 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 1:39am by Ladyfish74

Ladyfish74 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #1 of 5

How do you price for gumpaste figurines? I have a lady who wants a dog, a hog, a redfish, a buck, and a man tied up with a gun and fishing pole beside him on a sheet cake. The figurines would be about 3 to 4 inches high. I know that there must be a thread on here someplace that discusses this but I did a search and nothing came up. I'm pretty good at sculpting so I'm figuring an hour (maybe) for each figure?--maybe longer for the buck and the man. Any input would be appreciated.

4 replies
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:20am
post #2 of 5

One way you can do it....Calculate the cost of ingredients needed + your hourly wage. So, if it costs you $5/figure for ingredients & you want $20/hr then you would charge $25. I charge about $25/ person figure b/c they are so detailed. For something like animals it would be something like $5-10 each depending on the detail.

Maybe someone else will have more input

fondantgirl Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 5

At work they charge around 20-30 dollars per figure depending on the detail.......sometimes if it is just a very simple design then they will charge 10 dollars a piece. But I usually am asked to do disney characters :O very detailed and have to look right for them to look like the character. That reminds me I really need to add more of my pics on here lol. Hope this helps a little.

sweetcakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 5

theres not much fondant in the figures but they are time consuming so that is where most the cost for them will come from, your definately looking a an hour or more for each of them, at least you can get to work on them earlier in the week though, so id start at $10 each and go up depending on detail, especially the people kind, you'll spend more time on them.

Ladyfish74 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:39am
post #5 of 5

Thanks all--for the info. I think I will price the human and the buck at $20 ea. and the other 3 figures at $15 ea. This takes into account the area we live in as well as time and material. It also gives me a better chance of getting this contract. After I have proven myself and am a bit more in demand, I can charge more. The prices you all gave were pretty much in line with my initial thoughts so I'm going to submit the bid tonight and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again. I'll let you know if and how it turns out.
If I get the contract, I'll post pics. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%