Pricing Question...

Business By Confectioners_Conundrum Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 4:43pm by LaBellaFlor

Confectioners_Conundrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectioners_Conundrum Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:45am
post #1 of 14

I have been asked to make a tattoo gun sculptured cake for a Tattoo convention in South Carolina. I live in Southern Virginia, and will be delivering the cakes. The Tattoo gun will only be big enough for about 10 servings, but the detail will need to be perfect because the tattoo shop owner wants to use it in promotional pictures before it is cut. What in the world should I charge for all this??? I tried to post a picture of the tattoo gun that she wants it to look like, but it wouldn't work. I don't have a problem doing the cake, I just don't know what in the world to charge for something like this!! a 6 hour delivery, an over night stay in a hotel because it is sooo far away, gas...food...the labor involved with the cake..not to mention the supplies to make it! Help!!

13 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 14

Well... it's going to need to be bigger than 10 servings... no way you are going to get a tatoo gun so small and remain sane while doing it. A tatoo gun is detailed... there's lots of fine details... I start sculpted cakes like this at $250.00. For delivery, calculate the mileage one way and charge $2 per mile one way. That's what I do, and if you are having to stay in a hotel... they foot the bill. Is there honestly no one closer to them that would be able to do the cake? I guess if they are willing to pay and you are willing to drive then why not, but make sure they are paying.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 14

Just so you know I called Ace of Cakes for a cake & the delivery charge alone was $995 & I live only 3 1/2 hrs. away from them. Plus, all sculpted cakes you do should have a minimum flat rate despite the size of the cake. Sculpted cakes are not only hard, but very time comsuming. If you sold those by the slice you would never get your monies worth. Think about it, 10 slices so what, $6 a slice, $60 bucks. Is that really worth it? For me no less then $150 for a sculpted cake.

FromScratch Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 14

Holy $H!T!!! almost 1000$ just for delivery???? Man that man has a nice little thang going. Color me green with envy.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 14

Jumping and yelling with hands up, Pick me, pick me, I'll drive it for $1000 bucks 3 1/2 hours one way. Okay just kidding, I think I'm in the wrong part of caking. That would be the easier part than the other, anyway for me that is...

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 14

okay so saying you are 6.5 hrs away and it takes me about a hour to travel about 45 miles with stopping in small towns in between. Then charge about $2 per mile plus hotel.....

6.5 (hrs) x 60 (mph) = 390 x 2(roundtrip) = 780 miles

780 miles x $2 per mile = $1560 + $70 (hotel) = $1630

Kinda makes sense on Duffs charges don't you think???

OH and that doesn't include cost of cake!!!

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 14

Well, seeing as how I can get to Baltimore & back in a day & that for the trip it will only cost me about $50-60 bucks in gas for my mini van, um, no it doesn't make sense to me to charge $995 to deliver & set up a cake. But, that is just my opinion. And yeah, I did include traffic time in that 3 1/2 hr. estimate, Baltimore is actually a shorter trip for me. And exactly like you said, that doesn't include the cost of the cake.

FromScratch Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 14

I charge $2 per one way mile. So my delivery would be 1/2 of that plus the hotel since I am not footing 1/2 of that bill. $2 per round trip mile is a bit excessive in my eyes, but bravo for him to be able to get it. I mean they are paying for the name... it comes at a premium. Would *I* do it? No... but there are plenty that would and do.

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 14

I think you also misread what I said, I'm 3 1/2 hrs one way, so the trip would be a total of 7 hrs.

Confectioners_Conundrum Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:47am
post #10 of 14

I told them $300.00 for the cake, and they are paying the hotel bill (189.00 per night). I am always afraid to say too much!!!!! But, they did tell me that they would pay more if I needed it! What do you think? am I getting screwed??

LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:36am
post #11 of 14

$300 is a decent price & they should pay for the hotel room, now what are you charging for the actual delivery of the cake?

FromScratch Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:50am
post #12 of 14

I agree... you aren't getting screwed unless you aren't charging extra for delivery. icon_smile.gif

Confectioners_Conundrum Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 14

Well.....that was for the whole trip....now i guess i am getting screwed! I will tell them there is going to be a charge for deliverey too...i'll let ya know how it goes!

LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:43pm
post #14 of 14

They sound more then willing to pay for what they want. I say figure out what you like to get paid in hour & multiply that by how long the trip takes, then add it to gas cost & there you have your delivery fee. For example: a round trip with a total of 5 hrs. x $15 per hour + gas (for me it would be about$40 max.) = $165. Some people charge by the mile, but for me, it would be easier to figure out an hourly rate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%