Icing Question

Decorating By beck30 Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 3:11am by boxerbooty

beck30 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:59am
post #1 of 15

Im not much of a fan of buttercream icing (or maybe I havent fount the right recipe). Is there another type that is good to fill and ice cakes under fondant? This might sound dumb but I am trying to perfect the taste of my cakes as well as clean up the look. If anyone has a great buttercream recipe that tastes GOOD and you want to share I would love to have it. Thank you!!!!

I have tried the cooked buttercream and the wilton one I think both just dont cut it. When I was a little girl my grandpa used to make homeade icing and it was soooo good, but he died a while back and I never got the recipe ( i dont think he used one). I think I compare every one i try to his and I dont think Im going to be happy till It tastes like his. Everyone says that the icing tastes fine but I just dont think it does. Any help would be greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gificon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gificon_cry.gif

14 replies
SeriousCakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:04am
post #2 of 15

Here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLcCbN2I4xI&feature=channel_page
I get some rave reviews with this thumbs_up.gif

newnancy Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:11am
post #3 of 15

I just made Indydebi's Crisco Based Buttercream for a tea today for my niece. It was delicious & everyone really loved it along with the WASC cake. The bride now wants that for her wedding cake. Try it, it is very good.

MemphisMom9801 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 15

Here's another vote for Indydebi's buttercream. Everyone in my family loves it. My husband says he likes it because it's not so sickeningly sweet like some bc's can be. Give it a try! I love the texture of it, too.

kbak37 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:19am
post #5 of 15

I agree with Indydebi's recipe....I used it for the first time yesterday, and it literally just slid on the cake. It wasnt real sweet. I am also a fan of sugarshack's, people have said it is too sweet (I'm a fan though!) but talk about smooth and crusts beautifully.....

ClassyMommy Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:25am
post #6 of 15

I use Serious_Cakes, and everyone that tries it likes it!

Deb_ Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #7 of 15

If you haven't tried serious_cakes buttercream recipe I HIGHLY recommend it. I've tried all the popular ones on here and in my opinion and my client's too, serious_cakes is the best.

Here's why..........1)Taste.....it's DELICIOUS and it's not overly sweet like the others are 2)Texture is incredibly smooth and easy to work with, it crusts well yet it stays soft under the crust (if that makes sense) and 3)Probably the most important thing of all to me is that it's made with BUTTER, 22Tablespoons to be exact, I mean hey it's BUTTERcream so it should contain BUTTER, right? icon_smile.gif

Try it, you won't be disappointed!

MemphisMom9801 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:30am
post #8 of 15

dkelly... Do you happen to have a link to serious_cakes bc recipe handy?

kbak37 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #9 of 15

There is a link at the top with the you tube video, and the recipe is on the right side.

Im curious though, with all the butter and the little bit of whipping cream, is the sugar preserving it enough to keep it unrefrigerated?

MemphisMom9801 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:39am
post #10 of 15

Thanks, kbak37! I just completely overlooked that post.

SeriousCakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:43am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbak37

Im curious though, with all the butter and the little bit of whipping cream, is the sugar preserving it enough to keep it unrefrigerated?

I've been using this recipe for about a year and a half now, leaving it at room temp, without any problems. Even in the summer, never had a problem thumbs_up.gif

beck30 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:53am
post #12 of 15

Thank you! Im going to have to try both of these tomorrow. Hopfully I will find one that suits me. Im not opening my business till dec. (I hope) So maybe ill find the right one before then. Thanks again.

gerripje Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:12am
post #13 of 15

Another vote for Serious_cakes buttercream. I've been getting more into fondant and it has been very kind to me under the fondant.

islandgirl72 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:43am
post #14 of 15

I am very new to cake decorating and tried Indydebi's after reading a lot of reviews and recommendations.

I was so impressed with it that I haven't looked to try anything else. It was very easy to make, easy to work with, crusted well, and tasted great.

boxerbooty Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #15 of 15

I saw this video on youtube, so I tried it. I used Serious_cakes yellow cake recipe and the butter cream icing. They were wonderful. The cake actually got more moist the next morning. As a newbie I'm glad I started with a really fantastic recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%