Need Tips For Using 3" Cake Pans

Decorating By luvchocolate Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 3:17am by Mac

luvchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvchocolate Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:04am
post #1 of 12

What tips or pointers do you have for using the 3" cake pans?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

11 replies
luvchocolate Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 12

Will someone PLEASE help me?

I bought the pans a couple years ago, then read negative comments about using them, so put them in storage. Now I have to make a tiered cake and would prefer not to have to buy new 2" pans, if I can find out what I need to do differently with the 3" pans.

Searched the archives, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #3 of 12

I use the 3" pans quite abit. What sizes do you have? If they are small like 6", 8" and 10", be sure to use a flower nail in the center to heat the center. If you are using a 12" and up, use a heating core--grease and flour the outside and inside of the core, place in the center of the pan, pour in batter around core and then some inside the core.

When cake is finished baking and cooled a bit, remove core, dump out small cake inside and push in the hole in the cake. Level with the rest of the cake.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:57am
post #4 of 12

I was having problems with my 3 in pans not getting done, so I got a heating core and also the bake even strips. I'm doing much better now!!

Macsmom, do you usually lower your temp a bit and increase your cooking time when you're using 3 in pans, or do you find the heating core /flower nail to be enough?

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:17am
post #5 of 12

I lower the temp by about 25 degrees, bake for 1 hour for 8" x 3" and use the bake strips. They turn out perfect and nice and flat on top. I've never tried the flower nail.. thanks for the idea, I will try it next time.

bizatchgirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #6 of 12

Thanks Mare. Definitely not leaving mine in long enough. For 8x3 I was checking after 30 minutes and wondering why it wasn't done icon_confused.gif

Now I know better. I wonder if this was my problem with my WASC that weren't coming out about 2 weeks ago. I was taking them out way too early!!

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:43am
post #7 of 12

the 3" pans definitely take a longer time to finish, and i use a flour nail in them. I don't have the bake even strips, so that is probably why i get a dome, but the one 3" pan i have is great.

Mac Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:47am
post #8 of 12

My 3" pans are Fat Daddio's and they do bake better at 325.

bizatchgirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:52am
post #9 of 12

Thanks Mac! And now I'm confused. Were you Macsmom before, or did I totally confuse you with someone else icon_confused.gif

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:02am
post #10 of 12

AGREE!! i USE NOTHING BUT THE 3". Fill 3/4 full, lowere temp to 325 abd bake 1 hr. Nice even cooking. Perfect every time

luvchocolate Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:43am
post #11 of 12

Thank you all SO MUCH for your help!

I'm planning to use the 6, 8, 10 & 14" pans (I think!). Depends on the number of servings I'll need. This cake will be for our 50th anniversary party in July. I believe in planning ahead!

Armed with the information you all have shared, I'm feeling MUCH better about using the 3" pans.

Thanks, again!

Mac Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #12 of 12

No-always been Mac. There is a macsmom here on CC and no, she's not my mom.

My maiden name was McAlpine. In high school, there were 2 of us Pam's that ran around together--she was Pam and I became Mac. It stuck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%