Edible Luster Dust??

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 12:28pm by yelle66

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 8

Okay, so I was not aware before watching SugarShack's Boxes and Bows DVD, that regular luster was non-toxic, but not considered edible. She mentions an edible luster dust, but I don't think she mentions a brand. Can someone point me to a brand and/or place to order.

TIA!

Danielle

7 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 8

I believe the only luster dust that is considered inedible is the highlighters (gold, silver). But the regular luster dusts are. I use the CK or the Sunflower and its fine. And I actually do use the highlighter's also. Unless its going to be something that their going to eat a lot of like the whole cake being gold, I dont think a small piped dot will make anyone sick. Right now, dragees are considered non-edible in places like CA. And I know Ive eaten them and not got sick and my daughters eat them and they dont get sick. I think the key is moderation.
But you can ask Sharon what she was used if your worried!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 8

I'm not sure what you are reffering to since I don't have DVD yet. I remember seeing Sugarshack's blog where she posted her favorite online cake stores (I believe) and she mentioned that she gets FDA approved dust. The only FDA approved dusts I know are the "Crystal Colors". I also read that Platinum dust by GSA are also FDA approved. Check it out on globalsugarart, there are also other sites selling it too. I personally only use those types of dust since I prefer all my cake stuff FDA approved.

Heres a link to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=995

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21862

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 8

Let me ask Sharon and have her answer on the thread!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:48am
post #5 of 8

highlighters are not edible, not made for food

regular petal and luster dusts are non toxic but not considered food grade.

the only FDA approved brand I know of is Crystal Colors made by Sugarpaste. ( check the supply list card in the DVD case)

available at www.sugarpaste.com and Global

the one i used on the blue bow was fairy blue

HTH!

yelle66 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:11am
post #6 of 8

Okay, so what about Platinum dust like is available at caljava DOT com? It says they are FDA approved.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

Okay, so what about Platinum dust like is available at caljava DOT com? It says they are FDA approved.

I am not familiar with those, but if it says FDA approved they should be good to go.

yelle66 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:28pm
post #8 of 8

Well, I may just have to give them a try. Thanks so much, Sharon!

Danielle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%