Advice On Cake Support System

Decorating By T-Bird Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 1:31am by bakingatthebeach

T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hi... I have a lead on a cake (not contracted yet) that would be VERY large (serving somewhere between 300-500 ppl). I've thought of using kitchen cakes if the customer wants them, but if not, I have the dilema of what support system to use to hold up that much cake! In the past I've simply used dowel rods, and they've served me well, but I don't think that they would really work for this cake. It would be a ceremonial cake for the Army Reserve's 100 Birthday and would obviously be seen by a lot of people.

I'm starting my research now so I'm prepared for whatever may come my way. What support system would those of you who've done large cakes before suggest, and where would I purchase them? Right now I've sketched out square cakes, don't know if that's what they will want, and don't know if that would effect the type of best support system to use. Thanks for any advice icon_smile.gif

4 replies
lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,
There is a sticky at the top of the "How do I" forum on the SPS system, Leahs has provided all the instructions. She is the resident expert on this system. It is the easiest and most secure system out there. I beleive the ordering info is there as well. Also, she is very helpful if you have any questions. HTH and good luck on the cake

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 5

I agree sps all the way...

T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much, I will definitely be looking into the SPS then!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #5 of 5

Ive doweled, then I got the SPS, I will never dowel again. And the system is so cheap, worth buying and trying, you will love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%