Baking Cake Tonight And Icing Tomorrow. Should I Freeze?

Decorating By MGonzalez Updated 20 Aug 2005 , 7:22pm by witch_boots

MGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MGonzalez Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 7

I am making an ice cream cake for my daughter's 1st birthday. I will be baking the cake tonight and I'm planning on icing it tomorrow. I will put in the freezer AFTER I ice it but should I freeze it tonight after I bake it and pull it out tomorrow morning? I don't want for my cake to be hard so I don't know if it's ok to leave it sitting on the counter or placing it in the fridge for the night.

Please help!! I really want for this cake to work out!!!! I have been planning this for months!

Mary

6 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 7

This is what I did, I let my ice cream melt just enough so that it would spread. I then stuck layered the cakes and put in the freezer for a few hours and then iced it. And served immediatly. The cake wont get that hard if you freeze it for a few hours. I am not sure about all night.. maybe someone else can help on that part.. Good Luck!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 7

Mary I think if you let the cake cool and wrap it in plastic wrap you can leave it on the counter overnight. I have left cakes sitting overnight before without a problem.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 4:23am
post #4 of 7

The last icecream cake I did was a mess!! If I do another one I will definetly freeze the cakes. The icecream melts so fast so if you freeze your cakes it will help keep the icecream from meltingt. I would ice the cakes before stacking them on to the icecream. Then all you have to do is the border (if your doing any) & that doesn't take as long. Icecream cakes are a pain to make! But they are sooooo good!! icon_smile.gif Good Luck!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 20 Aug 2005 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 7

I have come to the conclusion that cakes are better if they have been frozen (providing they are cooled completely and wrapped well), there are fewer crumbs, and they seem to be more moist! It definitely makes sense to freeze them if you are going to be putting ice cream on them for icing.
Janice

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 20 Aug 2005 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 7

I think I would have to go with the freezer group! Where I live it is just so humid and hot...I don't think I would even consider doing an ice cream cake! But it does sound really yummy! icon_smile.gif
traci

witch_boots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
witch_boots Posted 20 Aug 2005 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 7

I am with the freezing group of thought. I freeze all my cakes now (even a 3milks cake) and have gotten compliments on all of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%