Is It Just Me, Or . . . ?

Decorating By JGMB Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm by isabow2

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 31

Does anyone else find the pregnant belly cakes disgusting? I don't think they're that appealing to look at, and the thought of plunging a knife into it just kind of grosses me out!!

Sorry if I've offended anyone -- I just had to get it off my chest!

30 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 31

I don't know that they are disgusting...but definitely disturbing.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 31

I'm just glad nobody has asked ME to make one! I just don't find ANYTHING appealing about them! IF some one decides they just have to have one....I think the price just went up!

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 31

I do have to agree. They kinda creep me out. icon_confused.gif

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 31

You are not alone...thank goodness I live in a over 55 adult community so no one has asked me to make one yet. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think they are crude not cute, but then again I think monkeys and clowns are creepy...maybe too many horror movies as a kid or maybe I was traumatized by the Wizard of OZ...who knows. icon_wink.gif

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 31

Sorry to say....I like them but my hubby thinks it they're horrible icon_biggrin.gif
As for cutting into them, I remember when my sil got a cake for my nephews birthday with his picture on it, she wouldn't cut into the picture, she took it off the cake first. icon_rolleyes.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 31

I'm on the side of those who find them crude. I don't see anything tasteful about them --and hadn't even thought about the fact that they are cut into like something out of a horror movie until the OP pointed that out...

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 31

I think cutting into one of those belly cakes is like doing a c-section. Very creepy. Never done one, and if I had a customer equest one, I'd seriously steer her away from that idea. If she insisted, it would be expensive.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 31

I think they are adorable to look at. But like getting a cake in the shape of your favorite pet, it would be very disturbing to me to cut that cake. No matter how clean and neat I was, it would be too much like hacking away at the pregnant person in proxy. NOT the feelings I want to have at a baby shower.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 31

I guess there are people that like them and those that dont. I think its right up there with having Fido out of cake and cutting it. Or even worse, the ones that look like actual babies. Could never cut it!
But I guess its to each is own! I had to do a 40th birthday cake last year that was the toilet with the poop and pee in it. I laughed when she told me she wanted it but it totally turned me off from doing any kind of "nibbling" on the leftovers! Yuck!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 31

I don't know... I mean it is *just* a cake. I see nothing wrong with them or eating them. I think if you are disturbed by it, perhaps you are reading more into than necessary?? It's not actually a pregnant belly afterall. icon_lol.gif

That being said, they aren't my favorite cake.

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #12 of 31

The cakes that are creepy to me with the thought of cutting the cake is the lifelike baby cakes. There is no way I could cut into one of those.

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

I guess there are people that like them and those that dont. I think its right up there with having Fido out of cake and cutting it. Or even worse, the ones that look like actual babies. Could never cut it!
But I guess its to each is own! I had to do a 40th birthday cake last year that was the toilet with the poop and pee in it. I laughed when she told me she wanted it but it totally turned me off from doing any kind of "nibbling" on the leftovers! Yuck!

I think i'd be right there with you on that one. hehe

isabow2 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:07pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy712

The cakes that are creepy to me with the thought of cutting the cake is the lifelike baby cakes. There is no way I could cut into one of those.

Ok, I have second that. I've seen pics of babies that look so lifelike. Definitely the baker behind it is a great artist to get it that way, but for me still creepy icon_confused.gif

MamaMayhem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMayhem Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:45pm
post #15 of 31

I think they're beautiful, but I think all preggos are beautiful. I had not however thought about slicing the cake...that is a bit disturbing.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:56pm
post #16 of 31

We were talking about a baby shower for a coworker and someone thought it would be great to do a pregnant belly cake. I told her no. We're doing something special since she wouldn't let us do anything when she got married 2 years ago. A pregnant belly cake was not something special.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:05pm
post #17 of 31

I made a bassinet cake for my friend with a fondant baby,and couldn't even cut that (the baby), I had to lift it whole and put it aside, and felt lika a paedophile when someone binned it.I definitely find such disturbing,actually I find any cake that looks like a living organism disturbing.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:11pm
post #18 of 31

There are people who can't even take a peek at a gruesome horror movie and there are people who probably enjoy watching it. Same thing as making belly cakes, Some cakers enjoy making one and the others don't even like the idea of it.

It thinks its just a matter of perspective. If I were to make a belly cake, I actually don't even or ever think of cutting through a belly of a human being. I just think that its just a cake and nothing more.

You're just not in the crowd of belly making cakers and I'm pretty sure you're not the only one =]

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:24pm
post #19 of 31

You are not alone. I find the thought of it discgusting, but then again...I am easily grossed out. My husband on the other hand is a nurse...and when he was in nursing school~ you don't want to know what those people talked about on their lunch hour! I guess that some people just have weaker stomaches than others. I personally think that a few of those cakes are cute...but not appetizing!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:29pm
post #20 of 31

I made a belly cake once (NOT the one in my photos, BETTER!) and I had a hard time cutting into it. The woman that it was for is just a cute little petite thing, and people thought that it was a plaster of her torso when it was on the table. VERY flattering!

So I guess that means that y'all aren't up for making a "booby" cake, or a "bottom" cake, huh? I made a kitty litter cake, and people had a harder time eating THAT than they did the belly cake!!! Maybe it was the cat s*** hanging off the side of the box... Who knows!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:51pm
post #21 of 31

Belly cakes are right up there on the 'creepy' list along with any kind of fake baby. The fake baby cakes are just too oogy for me. I admire the artistry of the decorators who can make them look so lifelike, but I just don't like them. Someone passed along an e-mail some time ago that had a bunch of different palm-sized naked newborn babies made from either marzipan or sugarpaste or something and the work was just un-freakin-believable but I was still creeped out by the whole fake baby thing.

I guess we all have our little peccadillos. icon_wink.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:23pm
post #22 of 31

Okay, I'm the OP who said that belly cakes disgust me -- that was before even seeing the one with the head attached on today's Cake Wrecks:

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

eewwww!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I feel even more strongly about my initial reaction!!!

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:33pm
post #23 of 31

I think they are vile - it's not like it's a cake for an OB-Gyn's office or the one I may do if the vampire movie my dad may work on kicks off, it's to celebrate the coming birth...not a slasher flick.
And JGMB hits it right - Cakewrecks sums up my feelings toward those things very well.
Wendl

isabow2 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Okay, I'm the OP who said that belly cakes disgust me -- that was before even seeing the one with the head attached on today's Cake Wrecks:

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

eewwww!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I feel even more strongly about my initial reaction!!!

Ok, those cakes are really gross IMHO! There's a time to be VERY detailed in your cake art & make it as lifelike as possible (think bride/groom figures) & a time NOT to be. This would be one of those times! icon_wink.gif

bakedbycody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedbycody Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #25 of 31

I agree, I dont think they are cute at all. I havent ever thought about cutting into one, but that makes it even worse.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:49pm
post #26 of 31

I so agree about the belly cakes!--I've seen some really cute ones-- but I immediately think of what it will be like when it's sliced up and it ruins it for me!--- I'm weird about cakes in the shape of a cross too for christenings, etc..--you just think, this seems wrong to cut!

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #27 of 31

So glad to kow I'm not the only one!! I don't like them either! Don't get me wrong--some of them are so well done--more than I can ever hope to do--there are some amazing cakers out there!!! But, I would NEVER want to cut into one-and that goes right up there with boobie cakes, butt cakes, baby cakes, I guess anything that looks like a body part or living thing! lol I love cake wrecks! She definently sums it all up...

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #28 of 31

while i think the whole pregancy thing is very beautiful i just don't find it in cake form appetizing at all. don't care too much for cat or dog cakes either. however, don't mind little ladybugs, butterflies, bees, inchworms and the like.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #29 of 31

I've made a few of these cakes in my time and even had to cut one to serve. It's really not that bad. My belly and boobs part is on a seperate cakeboard. So once it's disasembled it's just like cutting into any other 1/2 round cake. No resemblence of a belly exists! Just cake! And I guess sice everyone was standing there waiting for cake I really didn't have 2 seconds to think about what I was cutting into - I was just trying to not get attacked by the hungry mob!

But again, like everything else in life, to each his own icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #30 of 31

They don't bother me at all. I don't even mind cutting into one. Actually, I wanted to do one for a while and was glad someone finally asked me to several months ago. Maybe I was just glad someone asked for something that wasn't a sheet cake. icon_lol.gif

I can see the point several have made about them being disturbing though. I guess this is when I view it as "just cake."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%