Fire Engine Cake---Need Help

Decorating By Mandeepthemom Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm by FairyPoppins

Mandeepthemom Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:07am
post #1 of 10

Found this pic off the net...couple of questions
Is it easier to make this cake with red buttercream or red fondant?
I am scared about using butter cream as my edges are never that good and I would want a sharp line for the cab
I want to make the ladder out of royal icing....should I?

The ladder is make of royal would I make that and then attach to the cake straight up (as on the pic)

9 replies
Skirt Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:16am
post #2 of 10

The upside of using red fondant is that you won't have to use a ton of coloring to get the right color.
As for the ladder, I would make each side separately and then "build" it as I laid it on the cake, using more RI as glue. Make extra just in case!

Love the cake!

SeriousCakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 10

I recently made one that was all bc, except the ladder (candy clay):
I made a batch of buttercream Weds. night and used plenty of no-taste red. The next day I let it sit in a bag on the counter all day and it got darker but I still needed to add more red later, plus a little burgandy. I worked on the cake itself over the course of 2 days, carved, crumbcoated, and decorated half the first night, then finished it the following afternoon.
Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Mandeepthemom Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 10

So i called my local cake supply store and asked if they had Americolor in red cause I hear they have strong red to make the fire engine....the lady who happens to be a professional baker highly advised me on not making red fondant....she said it was impossible....I did not mention that I had recently made some black fondant and added the color when the marshmellows were melting in the microwave....she said that the amount of red gel I would have to use is actually dangerous...and I quote "the amount of red you would have to do will leave the fondant tasting gross and would be hard to digest"....she mentionned that they had ready made red fondant (20 dollare for 2 pounds) I dont think I would need that much fondant for this all people on cakecentral use prebought red? I find that hard to's my friends son's birthday...since I am new to this and need practice I am only charging her supplies cost...any more suggestions on red?

By the way...if the guests dont eat the red fondant it wont break my long as it looks good

Skirt Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 10

If you have the time, buy your fondant from Global Sugar Art or another online store. My local store also sells Satin Ice at $20.00 for 2 lbs. I bought it at GSA for $8.49 + shipping. I just bought a few different colors to have on hand, just in case!

Mandeepthemom Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 10

im in to much in shipping

Skirt Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 10

Darn those customs people...
If you're on the east coast, I can bring you some next time I go home! icon_smile.gif

Tarabell Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 10

I've made red fondant before, and while yes I had to use alot of coloring, it didn't make the fondant taste weird and no one complained of any bathroom issues. I start with a dark pink and then go from there. I've also made a fire truck with just buttercream and it's not too hard to get the edges clean. Good luck!

niccicola Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 10

i made the cake in the above link about a month back. i used all buttercream. my cake is in my pictures. there is even a link to a video that tells you how to do it, tho it's really simple.

FairyPoppins Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 10

I made the fire truck cake in my photos last month. I made mmf and colored it red with Americolor - it did need quite a lot.

I made the ladder by piping the bottom and two sides with RI. I had to make about 3 due to breakages. Once dry I glued the pieces together with RI and then carefully attached it to the cake. It was pretty fragile and I was surprised it got to the party in one piece!

I have issues with buttercream so I wouldn't even have attempted it! I'm a fondant girl through and through icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%